Hi, Just stubbled on this.
I guess you mean me, Ron Shurley, Langley, Slough.
BRG Lomax 224.
Ron.
Search found 8 matches
- Thu May 29, 2025 7:14 pm
- Forum: Tech Talk
- Topic: Overheating due to balance pipe
- Replies: 15
- Views: 72734
Re: Overheating due to balance pipe
NotSmartCar was spot-on that my problems were caused by the solid-state regulator being permanently on causing the alternator to work fine at driveway revs but generate 18.8v on the road. I’d fitted an Ammeter but not a Volt-meter (now fitted). Swopping the Ignition coil didn’t solve misfiring but r...
- Wed Apr 09, 2025 11:32 am
- Forum: Tech Talk
- Topic: Overheating due to balance pipe
- Replies: 15
- Views: 72734
Re: Overheating due to balance pipe
I've removed insulation from the regulators connectors so I could measure insitu. The battery was now at 12.94v and the regulator had 12.87v, only 0.07v difference (ignition on, ignition coil disconnected). The battery clamps, leads and earth leads (Gearbox to chassis and steering column hoop) are a...
- Wed Apr 09, 2025 9:29 am
- Forum: Tech Talk
- Topic: Overheating due to balance pipe
- Replies: 15
- Views: 72734
Re: Overheating due to balance pipe
I assume it's a 2CV alternator, it's an ISKRA with a large connector for output and a smaller spade connector for the field coil. With the ignition off or with the engine running I get 0.2v drop between the battery +ve and the regulator +ve and 0.01v drop between the battery -ve and the regulator -v...
- Tue Apr 08, 2025 7:37 pm
- Forum: Tech Talk
- Topic: Overheating due to balance pipe
- Replies: 15
- Views: 72734
Re: Overheating due to balance pipe
I connected the regulator directly to the battery & Alternator field. Still 18.8v.
I've ordered another Hella regulator.
ECAS ignition coil is £49, I assume a 12v M.Bike twin lead coil would work aswell? (as I fitted on my Honda CB160).
Any recomendations?
Thanks again NotSmartCar. Ron.
I've ordered another Hella regulator.
ECAS ignition coil is £49, I assume a 12v M.Bike twin lead coil would work aswell? (as I fitted on my Honda CB160).
Any recomendations?
Thanks again NotSmartCar. Ron.
- Tue Apr 08, 2025 12:05 pm
- Forum: Tech Talk
- Topic: Overheating due to balance pipe
- Replies: 15
- Views: 72734
Re: Overheating due to balance pipe
Thank you NotSmartCar, I fitted an Ammeter showing it was charging so had never checked the Voltage when running. I've just checked it and was astonished to see 18.8v, I checked it with a 2nd meter, exactly the same. I don’t think it was charging with the original Ducellier regulator, so I had fitte...
- Tue Apr 08, 2025 11:30 am
- Forum: Tech Talk
- Topic: Overheating due to balance pipe
- Replies: 15
- Views: 72734
Re: Overheating due to balance pipe
Thank you DavidM, If your Pembleton is Ok with a balance pipe, my Lomax should be Ok.
I fitted a W209 temperature control set to 100C with a probe on the Oil cooler pipe and it clcked the fan on. So I know my oil exceeds 100C.
Thanks again, Ron.
I fitted a W209 temperature control set to 100C with a probe on the Oil cooler pipe and it clcked the fan on. So I know my oil exceeds 100C.
Thanks again, Ron.
- Mon Apr 07, 2025 3:37 pm
- Forum: Tech Talk
- Topic: Overheating due to balance pipe
- Replies: 15
- Views: 72734
Overheating due to balance pipe
I have almost completed a long abandoned, unfinished Lomax 224 with an M28/1 engine. All the original ducting & fan were gone. It has a standard 2CV exhaust system, complete with balance pipe via the carb manifold. It runs well for the 1st mile, then easily stalls, may backfire, become hard to start...