Electric fuel pump
Moderator: moderator
-
Joe
- Posts: 10
- Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 10:02 pm
- Country: UK
- Region: Hertfordshire
- Location: Stevenage
Electric fuel pump
Hi
I am after a bit of advice on fitting an electric fuel pump, I've purchased a pump (with reservations about it over powering the float) I'm unsure of the amount of optimum pressure required in using a Solex carb, I'm in the processing of fitting the pump and it is flooding the carb's, so I'm thinking of restricting the pressure by reducing the voltage to the pump, would like your thoughts on this idea.
Joe
I am after a bit of advice on fitting an electric fuel pump, I've purchased a pump (with reservations about it over powering the float) I'm unsure of the amount of optimum pressure required in using a Solex carb, I'm in the processing of fitting the pump and it is flooding the carb's, so I'm thinking of restricting the pressure by reducing the voltage to the pump, would like your thoughts on this idea.
Joe
- billp
- Posts: 64
- Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:45 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2138
- Country: UK
- Region: South Wales
- Location: Cardiff
Re: Electric fuel pump
Fit an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and set it for 2 - 2.5psi.
-
howardjs
- Posts: 660
- Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:15 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 1785
- Country: UK
- Region: NW
Re: Electric fuel pump
Hi, on no account reduce the voltage as the pump could stall.
As billp says, fit a pressure regulator or filter/regulator such as Filter King
As billp says, fit a pressure regulator or filter/regulator such as Filter King
- billdavies
- Posts: 79
- Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:18 am
- CSC Membership Number: 1986
- Country: UK
- Region: Ayrshire KA7
- Location: Ayrshire
Re: Electric fuel pump
Joe,
You don't say which engine or which pump.
When I switched to Moto Guzzi I had flooding problems as the regulator was not up to the job and the pump was a displacement type that keeps shoving fuel forward despite the regulator not requesting it.
Resolved the flow problem by introducing a tee back to the tank...now the carbs get plenty fuel at a usable pressure, controlled by the float...and any surplus returns to the tank. Been working for three years with no problems...there are no moving parts to go wrong.
Billy
You don't say which engine or which pump.
When I switched to Moto Guzzi I had flooding problems as the regulator was not up to the job and the pump was a displacement type that keeps shoving fuel forward despite the regulator not requesting it.
Resolved the flow problem by introducing a tee back to the tank...now the carbs get plenty fuel at a usable pressure, controlled by the float...and any surplus returns to the tank. Been working for three years with no problems...there are no moving parts to go wrong.
Billy
Own design and build of trike,2CV powered and transmission
-
QFAD
- Posts: 204
- Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:29 am
- CSC Membership Number: 1887J
- Country: UK
- Region: South West - Wilts
- Location: Tisbury
- Contact:
Re: Electric fuel pump
Hi Joe,
As discussesd, if you want a simple solution to overcome over pressurisation, opting for the return pipe back to the tank works well. I also run a big block Guzzi engine (fuelled via a FACET 4 psi electric fuel pump) and use such a return system.
However one slight difference is I have a restriction in the return line to 'encourage' fuel into the float bowls. My fuel lines are 8mm ID and the restriction is 4mm ID. So far no issues.
The Facet pumps are continuous pressure pumps with no internal bypass or electrical cut out as per an SU electric fuel pumps. The SU is a very good pump, but a bit pricy so depends on your wallet...
PS of course if you are running a 2CV engine then stick to the original mech pump - the are pretty reliable, and if you do suffer from having to crank the engine to prime this pump each time you start the engine then fit a non return valve before the pump.
There is a lot of info in previous threads, so do a search - Ken Hanna has given good advice on this and on other issues.
Steve
As discussesd, if you want a simple solution to overcome over pressurisation, opting for the return pipe back to the tank works well. I also run a big block Guzzi engine (fuelled via a FACET 4 psi electric fuel pump) and use such a return system.
However one slight difference is I have a restriction in the return line to 'encourage' fuel into the float bowls. My fuel lines are 8mm ID and the restriction is 4mm ID. So far no issues.
The Facet pumps are continuous pressure pumps with no internal bypass or electrical cut out as per an SU electric fuel pumps. The SU is a very good pump, but a bit pricy so depends on your wallet...
PS of course if you are running a 2CV engine then stick to the original mech pump - the are pretty reliable, and if you do suffer from having to crank the engine to prime this pump each time you start the engine then fit a non return valve before the pump.
There is a lot of info in previous threads, so do a search - Ken Hanna has given good advice on this and on other issues.
Steve
-
Jack602
- Posts: 147
- Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:22 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2130
- Country: UK
- Region: Yorkshire
Re: Electric fuel pump
To add to Steve's comments, I use a mechanical fuel pump with hand primer from Dee franzose, where Pembleton remained unused for a few weeks at a time during shutdown I found that car started straight away after a couple of pumps of the primer.
I was able to adjust fuel pressure by varying thickness of pump to block gasket.
Hope this helps.
Jack
Pembleton Super Sport
I was able to adjust fuel pressure by varying thickness of pump to block gasket.
Hope this helps.
Jack
Pembleton Super Sport
-
Joe
- Posts: 10
- Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 10:02 pm
- Country: UK
- Region: Hertfordshire
- Location: Stevenage
Re: Electric fuel pump
After a few teething problems car running sweetly, but yet to do a journey, I went the mechanical regulator route although may switch back to the original pump, although fitted a new carb so that could be the reason it is running so well, running the pump at 2psi at present will do a 15 mile run up the motorway in the next couple of days to try it all out.
I've had my Lomax for 14 years next month, I have a R1100 Bmw engine in my garage with fuel injection which I was going to fit still not sure.
Joe
Happy driving
I've had my Lomax for 14 years next month, I have a R1100 Bmw engine in my garage with fuel injection which I was going to fit still not sure.
Joe
Happy driving