LED Bulbs

Discuss all things technical

Moderator: moderator

Post Reply
QFAD
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:29 am
CSC Membership Number: 1887J
Country: UK
Region: South West - Wilts
Location: Tisbury
Contact:

LED Bulbs

Post by QFAD » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:17 pm

Hi Guys,

As QFAD runs with std Big Block Moto Guzzi 280w/20 Amp alternator, running two 7" headlamps with conventional H4 bulbs consumes a high proportion of the available output. I appreciate those running with a Citroen engine do not have such issues, but there are quite a few variants of Guzzi engined cars out there running with twin H4s.

So I started investigating LED alternatives.

Starting with Ebay offerings which did not deliver the expected lighting outcomes - their cheap price is definitely not value for money! So I searched around for for a more reputable supplier and came across Classic Car LEDs (https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk).

The H4 replacement LED bulb set is not cheap at £45.73+VAT, but they really do deliver an effective white light with a good beam pattern as per the std H4 bulb. I contacted the supplier first as I had concerns regarding the additional 8 mm length of the bulb body fitting inside the headlamp shell. I was assured of a full returns policy so long as the packaging was undamaged - so open the box carefully.

Current drawn for each LED bulb is 1.8 Amps (standard halogen uses 5 Amps) - so power drawn dramatically reduced; so much so I also fitted two 4" spot/fog lamps with equivalent 55w LED bulbs. So I have the equivalent of 4x H4 bulbs available all for less current drawn than 2x H4 bulbs! OK, I appreciate the spot lamps are a bit over the top, but just in case I need extra lighting..... ;)

I moved the indicators from the front chassis to the mud wings as they are more visible to other road users.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collec ... rade-bulbs

QFAD with full lighting fitted.
QFAD Lighting Upgrade.jpg
QFAD Lighting Upgrade.jpg (150.46 KiB) Viewed 6518 times

Mabels dad
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:21 pm
CSC Membership Number: 2214
Country: UK
Region: Dorset
Contact:

Re: LED Bulbs

Post by Mabels dad » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:12 pm

Hello QFAD

I swapped out my halogens for LED lights and as you said, what a difference it makes. I bought mine from Autobulbs Direct, as these ones don't have the cooling fan on the back as so many do. They are a bot longer but fit a treat. Well worth the money and the much lower power draw is a real bonus.
In the photo of your car, I see you have an air intake on the bonnet, obviously to allow a larger air filter to be used. How did you construct this? Also, I am no doubt asking the obvious here, but is QFAD the original car as seen in the First 10 years book and if so, how long have you had the pleasure of owning it? Sorry to bombard you with all of these questions. Not being nosey - just interested :)

QFAD
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:29 am
CSC Membership Number: 1887J
Country: UK
Region: South West - Wilts
Location: Tisbury
Contact:

Re: LED Bulbs

Post by QFAD » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:28 pm

Hi Mabels Dad,

Yes QFAD is the car pictured on the front of the book.

I have owned QFAD for 10 yrs and he has undergone a further series of changes and upgrades. So a bit like Triggers broom only the chassis, GRP and seats are as originally fitted when I bought the car, but both the chassis and GRP have seen minor changes. I have replaced all the other parts over the years, including various engine types before settling on the current 1000cc Big Block Moto Guzzi engine.

The air intake scoop was originally fitted as the VGS 700cc engine had a SU carb fitted and needed additional height clearance - so a hole in the bonnet covered by a boat ventilation scoop (search most good Marine Chandlers) - it is now used to allow space for a modified 2CV breather oil filler unit to be fitted to the Guzzi engine where it performs the same role as per the original 2CV fitment.

The car is now how I wish it to be and I'm really pleased with its performance, reliability and its a capability as a roadster tourer. I love driving him and am looking forward to a major continental trip next year. :D

Mabels dad
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:21 pm
CSC Membership Number: 2214
Country: UK
Region: Dorset
Contact:

Re: LED Bulbs

Post by Mabels dad » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:10 pm

Hi QFAD

Lovely car with an equally lovely engine. You must have felt a huge difference when the 2CV engine was swapped out for that belter! Thanks for the info re: air scoop. You certainly have done a lot to your car and very pleased that you are so happy with it - I can see why.

Meant to add to my other post that I have replaced all of the lights on my car (including the dial lights) for LED's. I opted for warm white for the front side lights to keep it more traditional looking. I'd rather have more efficient and much brighter headlights than keep the traditional appearance, hence the powerful bright white LED's in there.

I'm sure most will know but thought I'd say anyway. If changing to LED's in the rear lights, make sure to use red LED's for brake and side and for the indicators, replace with orange LED. If you use white LED's in a red lens, they'll be a kind of pink colour that's not too attractive.
All the best
Graham

Post Reply