Overheating due to balance pipe

Discuss all things technical

Moderator: moderator

notsmartcar
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:09 pm
CSC Membership Number: 1211
Country: UK
Region: southwest

Re: Overheating due to balance pipe

Post by notsmartcar » Wed Apr 09, 2025 3:43 pm

And the earth voltage drop ?

notsmartcar
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:09 pm
CSC Membership Number: 1211
Country: UK
Region: southwest

Re: Overheating due to balance pipe

Post by notsmartcar » Wed Apr 09, 2025 7:12 pm

Looks like regulator needs changing but the way you test is not the way I would

howardjs
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:15 pm
CSC Membership Number: 1785
Country: UK
Region: NW

Re: Overheating due to balance pipe

Post by howardjs » Wed Apr 16, 2025 1:20 pm

I also experienced voltage regulator failure, turned out to be alternator fault.
I removed the regulator and changed the alternator to a Lucas 127 with built in regulator. That worked great until I inadvertently disconnected the battery while the engine was running :oops:
I then swopped the Lucas for a mini Kubota (Denso) 40A unit.
Since then no problem
23061_4_16.jpg
23061_4_16.jpg (117.89 KiB) Viewed 33609 times

Davidm
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:10 pm
CSC Membership Number: 2205
Country: United Kingdom
Region: Cumbria

Re: Overheating due to balance pipe

Post by Davidm » Wed Apr 16, 2025 3:39 pm

RonShurley wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 08, 2025 11:30 am
Thank you DavidM, If your Pembleton is Ok with a balance pipe, my Lomax should be Ok.
I fitted a W209 temperature control set to 100C with a probe on the Oil cooler pipe and it clcked the fan on. So I know my oil exceeds 100C.
Thanks again, Ron.
Ron
It looks as though you have more pressing electrical things to check and rectify but I would be surprised if the oil temperature actually reached 100C (unless in hot weather and engine ticking over or on a long steep hill etc).
It would be interesting to check the calibration.
I checked my (cheap) electronic temperature gauge against a conventional thermometer and found that at higher temperatures the gauge read 20C hotter than the thermometer !
Davidm

RonShurley
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:27 am
CSC Membership Number: 2250
Country: United Kingdom
Region: Berkshire

Re: Overheating due to balance pipe

Post by RonShurley » Thu May 29, 2025 7:14 pm

NotSmartCar was spot-on that my problems were caused by the solid-state regulator being permanently on causing the alternator to work fine at driveway revs but generate 18.8v on the road. I’d fitted an Ammeter but not a Volt-meter (now fitted).
Swopping the Ignition coil didn’t solve misfiring but reverting back to the contact breaker & capacitor did. I guess the Gammatronic PowerDriver took the hit but saved the ignition coil.
Over the 25 miles I’d manage to drive, this had blown 2 headlamp bulbs, a Sparkrite SX4000 (Died) and a Gammatronic PowerDriver (Intermittent mis-firing).
Thanks again NotSmartCar.
PS. Apologies for the delay in replying, Covid finally caught us.

neil curson
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:23 pm
CSC Membership Number: 1331j
Country: UK
Region: north west

Re: Overheating due to balance pipe

Post by neil curson » Fri Jul 04, 2025 3:55 pm

With regard to the coil, after 2 coil burnouts I fitted 2 Lucas type coils one for each plug, with the primary windings connected in series over 20 years ago never had a problem since, now on 123 ignition.

Post Reply