Alternator Not Charging Question
Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:09 pm
Hello
I have been fiddling about with alternators on my Lomax and accidentally making things spark etc and now nothing seems to be charging.
1 - The ampere seems to suggest there is a small charge going into the battery on start-up but then a fuse blows, and then no charge to battery. Any idea's why this is happening?
2 - How can I test if the alternator is working, if I put a 12v volt meter across the alternator contacts when spinning it shows no change. I have tried this on two alternators.
3 - I had the old 2CV voltage regulator on the car which I tried swapping with a modern electronic sealed unit. The new regulator says in the instructions.... 1 Positive; 2 Negative; 3 Field Exciter. How do I know which wires are which from the old regulator, as nothing on old regulator to say which wire is which. With new regulator connected I do not seem to be blowing fuses, but only minimal movement on the ampere meter needle. Having said that I may have the wires wrongly connected.
As you can imagine I have got myself in a right pickle with this .... I never was that good on electrics.
Many Thanks
Kevin
I have been fiddling about with alternators on my Lomax and accidentally making things spark etc and now nothing seems to be charging.
1 - The ampere seems to suggest there is a small charge going into the battery on start-up but then a fuse blows, and then no charge to battery. Any idea's why this is happening?
2 - How can I test if the alternator is working, if I put a 12v volt meter across the alternator contacts when spinning it shows no change. I have tried this on two alternators.
3 - I had the old 2CV voltage regulator on the car which I tried swapping with a modern electronic sealed unit. The new regulator says in the instructions.... 1 Positive; 2 Negative; 3 Field Exciter. How do I know which wires are which from the old regulator, as nothing on old regulator to say which wire is which. With new regulator connected I do not seem to be blowing fuses, but only minimal movement on the ampere meter needle. Having said that I may have the wires wrongly connected.
As you can imagine I have got myself in a right pickle with this .... I never was that good on electrics.
Many Thanks
Kevin