Cant help myself
Moderator: moderator
-
CSC1540
- Posts: 116
- Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:00 am
- CSC Membership Number: 1540
- Country: UK
- Region: NORTH WEST
Cant help myself
Hi all . I am at the `If it ain`t broke don't fix it point` but I just cannot help myself !!
I have had lots of problems recently with my 223 which I went through in a previous message, but I have now fixed my original problems by buying a new 26/35 carburettor from China . I asked them what jets were installed before it arrive they wrote back and said " Main 85 Air 100 " . Although it started out of the box, I changed the primary jet for a 110. The car runs well and accelerates smoothly , but it pops from the exhaust whilst ticking over and crackles on acceleration . I can live with it, but don't want to . There isn`t any adjustment on the mixture screw its all the way in and held with a rubber washer. When changing the primary jet are there any benefits from changing any other jets ?( or should I just leave well enough alone ).
I have already :- Changed the carburettor gaskets, Reset the tappets; Reset the electronic ignition; Checked the compression; Changed the coil;
Thanks Ray
I have had lots of problems recently with my 223 which I went through in a previous message, but I have now fixed my original problems by buying a new 26/35 carburettor from China . I asked them what jets were installed before it arrive they wrote back and said " Main 85 Air 100 " . Although it started out of the box, I changed the primary jet for a 110. The car runs well and accelerates smoothly , but it pops from the exhaust whilst ticking over and crackles on acceleration . I can live with it, but don't want to . There isn`t any adjustment on the mixture screw its all the way in and held with a rubber washer. When changing the primary jet are there any benefits from changing any other jets ?( or should I just leave well enough alone ).
I have already :- Changed the carburettor gaskets, Reset the tappets; Reset the electronic ignition; Checked the compression; Changed the coil;
Thanks Ray
Re: Cant help myself
Could be due to the mixture too lean, idle jet to small, thus you should increase the jet or adjust the mixture with idle adjustment mixture screw for a richer mixture.
This might be due incorrect position of the primary butterfly, difficult to adjust without proper tools, but I read something about this forum, I need to dig.
-
CSC1540
- Posts: 116
- Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:00 am
- CSC Membership Number: 1540
- Country: UK
- Region: NORTH WEST
Re: Cant help myself
Thanks Lomax76,
Tomorrow I will have a look at the plugs , that might give me an idea about the mixture .
Regards Ray
Tomorrow I will have a look at the plugs , that might give me an idea about the mixture .
Regards Ray
-
Jack602
- Posts: 147
- Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:22 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2130
- Country: UK
- Region: Yorkshire
Re: Cant help myself
Ray,
I am running the same carb on my Pembleton, after experimentation I am running the following settings:
Idle 47.5
Primary 115
Secondary 95
Hope this helps
Jack
Pembleton SuperSport
I am running the same carb on my Pembleton, after experimentation I am running the following settings:
Idle 47.5
Primary 115
Secondary 95
Hope this helps
Jack
Pembleton SuperSport
- Attachments
-
- duncans workshop March 2020 (3).jpg (294.27 KiB) Viewed 14374 times
-
CSC1540
- Posts: 116
- Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:00 am
- CSC Membership Number: 1540
- Country: UK
- Region: NORTH WEST
Re: Cant help myself
Thanks Lomax76, & Jack
Tomorrow I will have a look at the plugs , that might give me an idea about the mixture . The tick over sounds ok apart from the popping . I have tried to adjusted the idle jet but there is little movement available .
Regards Ray
Tomorrow I will have a look at the plugs , that might give me an idea about the mixture . The tick over sounds ok apart from the popping . I have tried to adjusted the idle jet but there is little movement available .
Regards Ray
Re: Cant help myself
Tick over is popping because of mixture too lean.
You cannot adjust the the idle jet just change the size, you meant to say adjust the idle mixture screw. This screw should be unscrewed by 2 1/2 turn after being completely screwed (not to hard to preserve the needle) From this point you can adjust the rev from this screw and the throttle.
You cannot adjust the the idle jet just change the size, you meant to say adjust the idle mixture screw. This screw should be unscrewed by 2 1/2 turn after being completely screwed (not to hard to preserve the needle) From this point you can adjust the rev from this screw and the throttle.
-
CSC1540
- Posts: 116
- Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:00 am
- CSC Membership Number: 1540
- Country: UK
- Region: NORTH WEST
Re: Cant help myself
Hi Lomax76 Thanks .
This is where my old brain gets confused with the terminology , I have a `slow speed idle jet` which doesn't want to screw in any further. an `idle mixture adjustment screw` which I haven't touched. the idle speed adjustment screw which I have played with lots. Plus the secondary choke air mixture jet .
My plan was to change the secondary choke air mixture jet . I would appreciate a recommendation for what size to get, bearing in mind my primary jet is a 110. Sorry if I have confused everybody.
I haven't checked my plugs yet, Its raining and cold , and I have got to pull the car out of the garage to do any work.
Regards Ray
This is where my old brain gets confused with the terminology , I have a `slow speed idle jet` which doesn't want to screw in any further. an `idle mixture adjustment screw` which I haven't touched. the idle speed adjustment screw which I have played with lots. Plus the secondary choke air mixture jet .
My plan was to change the secondary choke air mixture jet . I would appreciate a recommendation for what size to get, bearing in mind my primary jet is a 110. Sorry if I have confused everybody.
I haven't checked my plugs yet, Its raining and cold , and I have got to pull the car out of the garage to do any work.
Regards Ray
-
Jack602
- Posts: 147
- Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:22 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2130
- Country: UK
- Region: Yorkshire
Re: Cant help myself
Ray,
The quick win is to change the idle jet, no need to dismantle the carb.
The idle jet from your old carb may well be larger than the one fitted to the new carb.
I suggest ordering your new jets for Solex (not as Citroen) from eBay.
Jack
Pembleton SuperSport
The quick win is to change the idle jet, no need to dismantle the carb.
The idle jet from your old carb may well be larger than the one fitted to the new carb.
I suggest ordering your new jets for Solex (not as Citroen) from eBay.
Jack
Pembleton SuperSport
-
CSC1540
- Posts: 116
- Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:00 am
- CSC Membership Number: 1540
- Country: UK
- Region: NORTH WEST
Re: Cant help myself
Thanks Jack , I will try that once it stops raining . I normally get my spares from ECAS but will check out ebay .
Regards Ray
Regards Ray
Re: Cant help myself
Hi Ray,
Changing the ildle jet is the first things to do, Jack is right. But do not worry there is no adjustment and it must not be overtighten.
If you digue a bit on the forum there are some indication for best carb set up wrote by Ken Hanna
Changing the ildle jet is the first things to do, Jack is right. But do not worry there is no adjustment and it must not be overtighten.
If you digue a bit on the forum there are some indication for best carb set up wrote by Ken Hanna