Page 1 of 1
Exhaust bandage
Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:57 pm
by moon monkey
My exhaust headers are rusty, so eventually I plan to replace them with stainless steel or something equally shiny. But until then I quite like the look of the "bandage" style exhaust wrap tape, as a purely cosmetic improvement. I was wondering if insulating the headers would have an adverse effect on air cooling? Do the pipes act as heat-sinks at all?
Re: Exhaust bandage
Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:56 pm
by Jack602
I painted the Citroen manifold with "Granville Cylinder Black" & touch up each Spring.
Jack
Pembleton SuperSport
Re: Exhaust bandage
Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:26 pm
by motomallett
HI Jack can i purchase a Alternator and fan belt cover like yours regards Roger
Re: Exhaust bandage
Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:18 pm
by Jack602
Roger,
My fan belt cover is a transmission casing from a Honda Dylan scooter.
I purchased mine from a scooter breakers, Black Knight, in Stainforth, Yorkshire, they had several in stock.
Regards
Jack
Re: Exhaust bandage
Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:40 am
by motomallett
Thanks Jacks should have known you would have found something adaptable and looking good. regards Roger
Re: Exhaust bandage
Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:27 pm
by kawlomax223
Hi Jack. Very much like your alternator/belt cover but it appears to obstruct at least 50% of your oil cooler!

Re: Exhaust bandage
Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:35 pm
by Lomax76
Bonjour,
Back to the subject: Exhaust bandage, This should no be of any arm I will even think it is better, hotter gas will travel faster. I have seen many Lomax and bike with bandage. To conclude from a safety point of view it is better as it will prevent somebody to get burned.
Cheers
moon monkey wrote: ↑Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:57 pm
I was wondering if insulating the headers would have an adverse effect on air cooling
Re: Exhaust bandage
Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:26 pm
by moon monkey
Thanks for that! I hadn't considered the extra efficiency of getting the exhaust out. That's a very interesting point.
Re: Exhaust bandage
Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:46 pm
by Vyv Cox
A couple of points about this query. Stainless steel exhausts do not remain shiny after heating, they need polishing from time to time. Wrapping them causes even stainless exhausts to corrode if left wet.