Page 1 of 1
Fuel !!! E10 / E5
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:54 pm
by DaveWard
Hi Guys and no doubt a few ladies ... what are your thoughts / experiences with todays fuel ??? E10 is getting a bad press.
My BRA has a 2CV 602 cc engine and at the moment I'm running it with E5 Super un-leaded. It goes really well but isn't unleaded of any sort a bit of a No No ?? Should I be using an additive of some sort as well ??
Any thoughts would be appreciated ..... Thanks
Re: Fuel !!! E10 / E5
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:17 pm
by Jack602
Dave,
My 602cc Pembleton runs well on E5 (with larger than standard jets).
When I have run low & only been able to get E10 performance is down & car is noticeably noisier.
The new, correctly marked, flexible fuel pipes fitted for the MSVA rotted on E5 and had to be replaced with Ethanol proof hoses.
Jack
Re: Fuel !!! E10 / E5
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:42 am
by moon monkey
The Citroen engines are rated to work with unleaded with an octane of 97 or higher. Since standard unleaded is 95, I've always used super (which is E5 of course) for that reason.
Re: Fuel !!! E10 / E5
Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:30 pm
by DaveWard
Thanks both. Good to get perspective from those more knowledgeable than myself
Re: Fuel !!! E10 / E5
Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:03 am
by hutchii
Hi.
According to the Esso website, despite the Synergy pumps (99 octane) displaying an E5 label, the fuel is Ethanol free.
It doesn’t give a date for this information and does acknowledge that the legislation allowing no ethanol could change at any time. I assume that as soon as there’s a change their website will be updated.
Re: Fuel !!! E10 / E5
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:47 pm
by Ken Hanna
moon monkey,
that's what it says in the Owner's Manual, however all 3 of our Dyanes as well as the many cars which I serviced over a period of 30 years ran well on 95 octane, with some engines covering 250,000 miles and still going strong.
Of course, they had all been rejetted to suit unleaded fuel, with the ignition timing being accurately set using a strobe.
I haven't been doing enough mileage recently to have worked out if jet sizes will need to be increased again to suit E10, but have a feeling that it will be necessary.
Almost forgot about another change made to address the use of unleaded fuel; valve clearances set slightly wider than originally specified, 0.25mm 'slack' for the exhausts and 0.25mm 'sliding' for the inlets.
Ken
moon monkey wrote: ↑Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:42 am
The Citroen engines are rated to work with unleaded with an octane of 97 or higher. Since standard unleaded is 95, I've always used super (which is E5 of course) for that reason.
https://flic.kr/p/7zco2j
Re: Fuel !!! E10 / E5
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:00 pm
by Ken Hanna