Valves on my Bra CV3

Discuss all things technical

Moderator: moderator

Post Reply
DaveWard
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:14 pm
CSC Membership Number: 2223
Country: UK
Region: East Mids
Location: Ashby de la Zouch

Valves on my Bra CV3

Post by DaveWard » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:21 pm

Hi Guys thanks for you reply's re Oil Temperature / cooling / gauge etc. I have had to put that on hold at the moment as I now have a more pressing problem.

Driving along the other day it started to stutter and power dropped considerably. I got it home ...just !
It runs ok in the garage if I keep the revs up but won't idle and back fires some-what into the carb. Spark plugs and ignition seem fine . The inlet and exhaust valve gaps were a bit tight ! Adjusted but no better. I I got a compression tester on the off side head ( 130/140 psi ) but there is steel work obstructing my access to the other head. However I brazed a connection into an old spark-plug to get access ...... showing an iffy 40 psi.
I'm reluctant to take the head off but this sounds like a burnt out valve to me.
Any thought or suggestions would be most welcome
Thanks
Dave Ward

User avatar
billp
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:45 pm
CSC Membership Number: 2138
Country: UK
Region: South Wales
Location: Cardiff

Re: Valves on my Bra CV3

Post by billp » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:19 pm

Hi Dave, I'd give the carb a good clean out first. Use an air line to blow through the jets(preferably backwards in order to dislodge any particles). In the past I have found mine with all sorts of debris and water in it when having the same problem as you. Then fit an inline fuel filter.
Bill

Davidm
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:10 pm
CSC Membership Number: 2205
Country: United Kingdom
Region: Cumbria

Re: Valves on my Bra CV3

Post by Davidm » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:46 pm

Dave
What compression do you measure on the offside using the same brazed spark plug connector method you used on the nearside ?
Davidm

DaveWard
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:14 pm
CSC Membership Number: 2223
Country: UK
Region: East Mids
Location: Ashby de la Zouch

Re: Valves on my Bra CV3

Post by DaveWard » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:27 pm

Thanks both, I've now managed to get a better reading from both cylinders .
Going to try getting an airline onto the cylinders as suggested and if results are good will then move onto the carb

Thanks ]

Dave

notsmartcar
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:09 pm
CSC Membership Number: 1211
Country: UK
Region: southwest

Re: Valves on my Bra CV3

Post by notsmartcar » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:07 pm

Don’t suppose your running on points are you,,, is the coil hot to the touch when it starts to misbehave.

Post Reply