Drum to Disc Gearbox
Moderator: moderator
- billdavies
- Posts: 79
- Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:18 am
- CSC Membership Number: 1986
- Country: UK
- Region: Ayrshire KA7
- Location: Ayrshire
Drum to Disc Gearbox
Hi all,
I know its been covered before but rather than surfing through old posts,
Question...Can the disc bits and bobs be swapped onto a Drum gearbox, don't need the detail just confirmation please. I can cope with the engineering its computers that drive me nuts!!!
Bill
I know its been covered before but rather than surfing through old posts,
Question...Can the disc bits and bobs be swapped onto a Drum gearbox, don't need the detail just confirmation please. I can cope with the engineering its computers that drive me nuts!!!
Bill
Own design and build of trike,2CV powered and transmission
-
hutchii
- Posts: 257
- Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:56 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 1865
- Country: UK
- Region: SE
Re: Drum to Disc Gearbox
Hello Bill.
I've never owned a car with a drum brake gearbox and don't have one to look at but, given that disc brake boxes came after drums, I think it unlikely that the mounting holes for disc calipers will be present in the casting or the bosses would exist that may have been able to be drilled and tapped.
Good luck with your project.
I've never owned a car with a drum brake gearbox and don't have one to look at but, given that disc brake boxes came after drums, I think it unlikely that the mounting holes for disc calipers will be present in the casting or the bosses would exist that may have been able to be drilled and tapped.
Good luck with your project.
Re: Drum to Disc Gearbox
Drum gearboxes have the boss for the caliper mountings but the holes are not drilled. If you have access to good engineering facilities at a reasonable price then drill the bosses, otherwise get another gearbox. I bought a reconditioned 'Tall' gearbox off Rick Pembro that solved all the problems.
- billdavies
- Posts: 79
- Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:18 am
- CSC Membership Number: 1986
- Country: UK
- Region: Ayrshire KA7
- Location: Ayrshire
Re: Drum to Disc Gearbox
Hi all,
Thanks for the responses I have had a closer look and have come to the conclusion the gearbox will require swapping...could not see any bosses or threaded holes.
So what next I need to get the engine running but am off on holiday tomorrow so it will rest in the garage drying off as it was stored outside.
Will keep you informed etc
Bill
Thanks for the responses I have had a closer look and have come to the conclusion the gearbox will require swapping...could not see any bosses or threaded holes.
So what next I need to get the engine running but am off on holiday tomorrow so it will rest in the garage drying off as it was stored outside.
Will keep you informed etc
Bill
Own design and build of trike,2CV powered and transmission
Re: Drum to Disc Gearbox
Maybe an issue?
Disc’s are LHM, where drummers DOT4 fluid?
Disc’s are LHM, where drummers DOT4 fluid?
-
howardjs
- Posts: 660
- Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:15 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 1785
- Country: UK
- Region: NW
Re: Drum to Disc Gearbox
Also master cylinder is different, has smaller bore (higher pressure ratio)
Re: Drum to Disc Gearbox
I converted Mungo to disc brakes, quite straightforward really but in addition to the items mentioned by others you have to change the rear wheel cylinders (the seals are not compatible with HLM fluid) you also have to change the handbrake operating arm and adjust the length of the link between the handbrake and the arm.
I did write an article about the conversion that was published in the Lomax Squadron Forum.
I did write an article about the conversion that was published in the Lomax Squadron Forum.