Towing a 2CV / Lomax
Moderator: moderator
-
Mendip.Wursel
- Posts: 133
- Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:55 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 1983
- Country: UK
- Region: UK
- Location: South West (Nr Cheddar)
- Contact:
Towing a 2CV / Lomax
Is it okay to tow a 2CV / Lomax for long distance? (ie - will this damage the gear box or anything else for that matter).
Thanks
Thanks
-
Tom Rae
- Posts: 101
- Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:02 am
- CSC Membership Number: 11859
- Country: UK
- Region: Lothian
Re: Towing a 2CV / Lomax
Yes to first part, no for second.
Tom
Tom
-
Geoff Ryall-Harvey
- Posts: 568
- Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:47 pm
- Country: UK
- Region: Cheshire
Re: Towing a 2CV / Lomax
I've flat towed my Avion as far as Rome (drove it back) and all over France and Germany as we usually take it on holiday and use it as a trailer for the kids toys on the way down and for me to run around in when we're there.
The gearbox still performs well with smooth changes and no whine. However, I've been told that unless the input shaft is turning then the box doesn't get lubricated properly. If this were true, you'd think a 1200 mile journey to Rome at speeds of up to 100mph would be enough to cause some noticeable problems - but no... I'm told I've been very lucky and it's only a matter of time. We'll see. Even if it does, it's hardly Ferrari money to replace and I've got a couple more good ones in barn.
The gearbox still performs well with smooth changes and no whine. However, I've been told that unless the input shaft is turning then the box doesn't get lubricated properly. If this were true, you'd think a 1200 mile journey to Rome at speeds of up to 100mph would be enough to cause some noticeable problems - but no... I'm told I've been very lucky and it's only a matter of time. We'll see. Even if it does, it's hardly Ferrari money to replace and I've got a couple more good ones in barn.
-
Mendip.Wursel
- Posts: 133
- Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:55 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 1983
- Country: UK
- Region: UK
- Location: South West (Nr Cheddar)
- Contact:
Re: Towing a 2CV / Lomax
Interesting in what you say about the input shaft needs to be turning to lubricated the gearbox properly. So I guess as a general rule one is okay for short distances but one takes a chance with longer hauls.
Thanks
Thanks
Last edited by Mendip.Wursel on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Geoff Ryall-Harvey
- Posts: 568
- Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:47 pm
- Country: UK
- Region: Cheshire
Re: Towing a 2CV / Lomax
That's what people say - I don't know if it's true, but I've towed my Avion the length of mainland Europe and not had a problem. I don't know what distance would be critical.Mendip.Wursel wrote:Interesting in what you say about the input shaft needs to be turning to lubricated the gearbox properly. So I guess as a general rule one is okay for short distances but one take a chance with longer hauls.
Thanks
As I say - if it does go pop it's hardly Ferrari money to replace. I wouldn't hesitate to tow my car where ever I wanted to take it.
-
david tocher
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:44 pm
- Country: UK
- Region: State
Re: Towing a 2CV / Lomax
Have a look at http://www.thepembleton.org.uk/ePAG/ePAG41/wee.shtml about one bad experience of using an A frame
-
Tom Rae
- Posts: 101
- Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:02 am
- CSC Membership Number: 11859
- Country: UK
- Region: Lothian
Re: Towing a 2CV / Lomax
David, to be honest that is a basic mistake and should in no way put people off A frames. A bit like driving with the handbrake on...................., Like Geoff, I have done many miles towing mine by A frame and without incident.david tocher wrote:Have a look at http://www.thepembleton.org.uk/ePAG/ePAG41/wee.shtml about one bad experience of using an A frame
Tom
-
Geoff Ryall-Harvey
- Posts: 568
- Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:47 pm
- Country: UK
- Region: Cheshire
Re: Towing a 2CV / Lomax
If you leave it in gear then you can hardly blame the A frame. When I tow I normally check and double check that everything is right. It's very easy to leave the handbrake on or the bonnet unlatched, the safety wire off or the electrics unplugged. I will then pull over after half an hour or so and check it all again and make sure nothing is chaffing or loose etc. If the rig doesn't "feel" right when it is being towed then I stop and check. Running along with the towed vehicle in gear would surely be detectable to the driver?
-
Tom Rae
- Posts: 101
- Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:02 am
- CSC Membership Number: 11859
- Country: UK
- Region: Lothian
Re: Towing a 2CV / Lomax
Geoff, I also leave the steering lock off but it can be towed with it locked. For some reason, A frame towing is frowned on by many and misunderstood by the rest but provided the vehicle is under 750 kgs GVW* and the towing vehicle is "heavy enough" for towing this weight of un-braked trailer then it should be fine.Geoff Ryall-Harvey wrote:If you leave it in gear then you can hardly blame the A frame. When I tow I normally check and double check that everything is right. It's very easy to leave the handbrake on or the bonnet unlatched, the safety wire off or the electrics unplugged. I will then pull over after half an hour or so and check it all again and make sure nothing is chaffing or loose etc. If the rig doesn't "feel" right when it is being towed then I stop and check. Running along with the towed vehicle in gear would surely be detectable to the driver?
Tom
* gross vehicle weight is defined by the manufacturer, for example, a Pembleton Grasshopper actually weighs about 330kgs dry however the GVW is 596kgs and a Pembleton Brooklands is 614kgs. A Lomax is heavier than a Pembleton and I don't know the GVW rating but the 224 and Lamda models could be getting close to or over the 750 kgs. Over 750kgs and it gets complicated as the towed vehicle will require operational brakes activated by towing mechanism and that is a whole new can of worms.
-
david tocher
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:44 pm
- Country: UK
- Region: State
Re: Towing a 2CV / Lomax
Ton wrote
I referenced it not to knock A frames but just a caution about not making a mistake like that.to be honest that is a basic mistake