Lomax ignition coil position.
Moderator: moderator
-
hotfoothowell
- Posts: 58
- Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:15 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 1966
- Country: UK
- Region: Warwickshire
Lomax ignition coil position.
My Lomax ignition coil is mounted on the engine between the starter motor and the gear change linkage. For some unknown reason, the handbrake linkage assemby has started to foul the left hand ignition lead, when the handbrake is applied, pulling the lead off the coil terminal. The only solution seems to be to move the coil- can anyone suggest a good position, where it will neither be drenched nor roasted? Thanks, Patrick
-
hutchii
- Posts: 257
- Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:56 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 1865
- Country: UK
- Region: SE
Re: Lomax ignition coil position.
Patrick,
If you're satisfied that the coil is not getting "drenched or roasted" where it is, can you not simply change the HT leads? Shorter ones, with maybe a right angle attachment at the coil end so that they are directed towards the front of the car, away from the handbrake linkage. Leads are available singly in a variety of lengths and ends from most motor factors. Halfords also sold them, last time I looked.
My ECAS Supercoil is mounted on a bracket which spans the two large (10mm) studs at the top of the gearbox. When I realized that the HT leads were "rubbing" on the underside of the bonnet, I simply reversed the leads and by doing so was able re-route them to ensure that they no longer fouled anything!
If you're satisfied that the coil is not getting "drenched or roasted" where it is, can you not simply change the HT leads? Shorter ones, with maybe a right angle attachment at the coil end so that they are directed towards the front of the car, away from the handbrake linkage. Leads are available singly in a variety of lengths and ends from most motor factors. Halfords also sold them, last time I looked.
My ECAS Supercoil is mounted on a bracket which spans the two large (10mm) studs at the top of the gearbox. When I realized that the HT leads were "rubbing" on the underside of the bonnet, I simply reversed the leads and by doing so was able re-route them to ensure that they no longer fouled anything!
-
hotfoothowell
- Posts: 58
- Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:15 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 1966
- Country: UK
- Region: Warwickshire
Re: Lomax ignition coil position.
Thanks for the suggestion. Halfords no longer sell ignition leads. The main problem seems to be finding a right angle connection which will fit the Citroen HT coil output.
-
Mike
- Posts: 77
- Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:53 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 1663
- Country: UK
- Region: South west
Re: Lomax ignition coil position.
Try "Vehicle Wiring Products" they sell a whole range of HT leads and fittingshotfoothowell wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. Halfords no longer sell ignition leads. The main problem seems to be finding a right angle connection which will fit the Citroen HT coil output.
-
hotfoothowell
- Posts: 58
- Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:15 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 1966
- Country: UK
- Region: Warwickshire
Re: Lomax ignition coil position.
Thanks, but have already tried them.
-
hutchii
- Posts: 257
- Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:56 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 1865
- Country: UK
- Region: SE
Re: Lomax ignition coil position.
Patrick,
If you speak to Ecas, I think you'll find that the leads they supply with their "Super coils" are supplied to them without one of the ends fitted. Not sure whether it's the straight or right angle end but, either way, if you tell them the length you require, they could provide what you want. (Assuming they're shorter than normally supplied)
If you speak to Ecas, I think you'll find that the leads they supply with their "Super coils" are supplied to them without one of the ends fitted. Not sure whether it's the straight or right angle end but, either way, if you tell them the length you require, they could provide what you want. (Assuming they're shorter than normally supplied)
- Le Patron
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:55 am
- Country: NL
- Region: middle
- Location: Holland
- Contact:
Re: Lomax ignition coil position.
When problem finding, I can make straight or angled connection on 7mm or 8mm ignition leads, every length.
Kind regards,
Godfried van den Bergh.
Godfried van den Bergh.
-
bassmaster
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2025 11:01 am
- CSC Membership Number: 2313
- Country: UK
- Region: South East
Re: Lomax ignition coil position.
Hi.
I live on the Isle of Wight and have just joined the club.
I recently purchased a part built Lomax 223, and am going to need some information from all you guys out there please?
re: the Ignition coil on the Lomax, I can't see how it's possible to attach it to the engine between the starter motor and the gear lever?
or should that be attach it to the gearbox?
Does anybody reading this know if we have a member with a Lomax, living on the Isle of Wight please?
I live on the Isle of Wight and have just joined the club.
I recently purchased a part built Lomax 223, and am going to need some information from all you guys out there please?
re: the Ignition coil on the Lomax, I can't see how it's possible to attach it to the engine between the starter motor and the gear lever?
or should that be attach it to the gearbox?
Does anybody reading this know if we have a member with a Lomax, living on the Isle of Wight please?