Car tax rules

The place to discuss IVA/MSVA experiences and issues related to building our cars

Moderator: moderator

Post Reply
Armando
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:48 pm
Country: UK
Region: Herefordshire

Car tax rules

Post by Armando » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:58 am

Hello, everyone. I've been trying to get information from the GOV/DVLA websites on registration and car tax, but it's not easy to find/clarify.

I know that for cars registered before 2001, the annual VED is £145 for engine capacities less than 1549cc.

If I build a special (a Pembleton SS) based on a 2CV manufactured in 1982, completing it and having it registered sometime in say 2017, will it be subject to the emissions-based VED rules in force at the time of completion?

Or will it be the pre-2001 rule that applies? I hope it's this, given the likely emissions of the donor engine.

I know the original registration number cannot be used but an age-related registration can be applied for.

I think I also read that the completed car would be treated as a 'new' car in that the first MOT would be due 3 years after registration?

Thanks!

tibetans
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:41 pm
CSC Membership Number: 1210
Country: UK
Region: North West

Re: Car tax rules

Post by tibetans » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:10 pm

Hi

Are you talking about a three wheeled Pembleton - in which case it would be taxed as a tricycle under 450KG at £82 per year.

Richard

Post Reply