Help!
Moderator: moderator
Help!
Evening Gentleman,
My 223 is not far from being ready to go on the road however unsure how to go about it now?
I have a 2CV V5 so can I just get away with a body and wheel base change or do I have to go down another route?
Everything I'm reading seems to confuse the matter more
Many thanks
Marc
My 223 is not far from being ready to go on the road however unsure how to go about it now?
I have a 2CV V5 so can I just get away with a body and wheel base change or do I have to go down another route?
Everything I'm reading seems to confuse the matter more
Many thanks
Marc
Re: Help!
You will need an MSVA test - not quite as simple as just turning up at an MOT station I'm afraid....
You will need to read through and make sure it conforms to all the criteria!
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/mot ... e-approval
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... manual.pdf
You will need to read through and make sure it conforms to all the criteria!
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/mot ... e-approval
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... manual.pdf
-
administrator
- Site Admin
- Posts: 147
- Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:14 am
- Country: UK
- Region: UK Wide
Re: Help!
Marc,
There isn't a definitive answer to this. In theory, you should submit the car for a MSVA and get it re-registered as a lomax tricycle. You may have issues making your 223 compliant for this - read the MSVA bible beforehand.
However, some people have managed to keep their 223's on the original Citroen 2CV V5 with no real issues come MOT time. This very much depends on your local MOT centre. Some cars which have been re-registered have reverted to their original V5 Citroen 2CV/Dyane status recently on the DVLA computer.
Others have managed to get the vehicle re-registered using the 'radically Altered Vehicle' route, although, in theory, having changed the chassis (4->3 wheeler and cutting rear arms off) and changing the body, then the car doesn't qualify. That doesn't seem to stop some people successfully going down this route.
Has the car been on the road before?
Rgrds
Callum
There isn't a definitive answer to this. In theory, you should submit the car for a MSVA and get it re-registered as a lomax tricycle. You may have issues making your 223 compliant for this - read the MSVA bible beforehand.
However, some people have managed to keep their 223's on the original Citroen 2CV V5 with no real issues come MOT time. This very much depends on your local MOT centre. Some cars which have been re-registered have reverted to their original V5 Citroen 2CV/Dyane status recently on the DVLA computer.
Others have managed to get the vehicle re-registered using the 'radically Altered Vehicle' route, although, in theory, having changed the chassis (4->3 wheeler and cutting rear arms off) and changing the body, then the car doesn't qualify. That doesn't seem to stop some people successfully going down this route.
Has the car been on the road before?
Rgrds
Callum
Re: Help!
Unfortunately the car has never been on the road before.
I'm very worried though about getting it through the new test.
I was hoping I could do what some people have done in the past and Chang it to a 3 wheeler 2cv special
I'm very worried though about getting it through the new test.
I was hoping I could do what some people have done in the past and Chang it to a 3 wheeler 2cv special
-
howardjs
- Posts: 660
- Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:15 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 1785
- Country: UK
- Region: NW
Re: Help!
As Callum has pointed out some have seemingly managed to get the original V5 changed to a new wheel plan and retain the original reg. number...but... my concern would be the validity of any insurance contract in the event of a claim.
There may be issues concerning edge radii and projections but with a bit of pre-planning I am sure each problem can be overcome. There was a post recently by a member who overcame the engine problem by making a very simple copper tube frame around the offending parts to prevent the 100mm sphere from touching said parts. Also the 2.5 radius does not apply to cylinder fins which are less than 10mm (I think) apart.
There must be around 50% of our members with 223s so it must be possible... Sit down with a cup of tea and the MSVA manual and tick off any issues one by one... In the end you will have a fully sorted car and piece of mind... keep going..
Regards
Howard
There may be issues concerning edge radii and projections but with a bit of pre-planning I am sure each problem can be overcome. There was a post recently by a member who overcame the engine problem by making a very simple copper tube frame around the offending parts to prevent the 100mm sphere from touching said parts. Also the 2.5 radius does not apply to cylinder fins which are less than 10mm (I think) apart.
There must be around 50% of our members with 223s so it must be possible... Sit down with a cup of tea and the MSVA manual and tick off any issues one by one... In the end you will have a fully sorted car and piece of mind... keep going..
Regards
Howard
Re: Help!
Now reading further into things I'm wondering if I may be able to go down the route?
RADICALLY ALTERED VEHICLES
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... d-vehicles
So the 223-
Original transmition 2
Original axles 2
Original engine 1
Original Chassis 5 (it is the original chassis with welded up rear legs?)
8 point to qualify. Plus it does use the original suspension on the front and rear however rear is altered to suit.
Has anyone gone down this route before?
RADICALLY ALTERED VEHICLES
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... d-vehicles
So the 223-
Original transmition 2
Original axles 2
Original engine 1
Original Chassis 5 (it is the original chassis with welded up rear legs?)
8 point to qualify. Plus it does use the original suspension on the front and rear however rear is altered to suit.
Has anyone gone down this route before?
- billdavies
- Posts: 79
- Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:18 am
- CSC Membership Number: 1986
- Country: UK
- Region: Ayrshire KA7
- Location: Ayrshire
Re: Help!
Hi,
Yes I went down the Radically Altered Route with three trikes and they all passed with no advisories.
However that was in the days of Local DVLA offices and about 15years ago. If the facility still exist then why not challenge it.
The cars were issued with Trike status logbooks.
regards Bill D
Yes I went down the Radically Altered Route with three trikes and they all passed with no advisories.
However that was in the days of Local DVLA offices and about 15years ago. If the facility still exist then why not challenge it.
The cars were issued with Trike status logbooks.
regards Bill D
Own design and build of trike,2CV powered and transmission
-
notsmartcar
- Posts: 314
- Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:09 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 1211
- Country: UK
- Region: southwest
Re: Help!
Like bill says email them but I m sure altering the chassis ( even cutting off the not needed rear "legs") or changing wheel plan 4-3 will mean msva