Keith,
as you may have gathered the DVLA/Vosa system seems to be following most other gov depts and getting out of control.
I looked into the system a few months ago on behalf of a potential new owner and found total confusion in the official scenario.
Basically, since all went centralised with the closure of local DVLA offices, the old system of arranging a verification inspection of a rebodied (or radically altered vehicle) has seen some major changes. For some time now there was a fee to pay for the inspection (used to be free). But now I find that when you apply for this inspection you have to send the appropriate fee, but when you follow the online link to find the fee, you are taken to the IVA fee page.
Now as already pointed out the IVA only applies to cars of a certain lack of age, further investigation, back and forth the website and numerous phone calls leads to the option of "voluntary IVA" for older cars (and others that do not require/qualify for a mandatory IVA). This seems to be the latest and only verification inspection available to confirm cars identity and points system compliance.
The real kick in the teeth then is that you are volunteering for an inspection far more in depth than is necessary (by DVLA own admission)and worse is that the voluntary IVA fee is more than the mandatory fee and as it is not complusory you are obliged to pay Vat on top.
A real DVLA own goal. What happened to the days (not that long ago) where the DVLA inspector was more than happy if you could show that the vehicle could be reverted to a std 2CV, if neccessary, given the correct supply of old parts.
So to do it officially is becoming a chore, there are no doubt dodges of one kind or another which this latest system will only serve to encourage thus leading to yet more draconian slap downs, to the ultimate detriment of us all.
Bob
which test
Moderator: moderator
-
kgnoble
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:56 am
- CSC Membership Number: 2079J
- Country: UK
- Region: Surrey
- Contact:
Re: which test
Thanks Bob
It is odd that the inspection is noted as voluntary, but is mandatory to be voluntary!!!
My main concern remains whether the Burton when completed will meet the standards necessary anyway - certainly trying to understand the manual is giving me nightmares
I think I will now wait until the car is finished, get an informal MOT from our local garage and then book it for the test.
As and when I am able to do it, I will report back in the hope of helping others.
Watch this space....
Keith
It is odd that the inspection is noted as voluntary, but is mandatory to be voluntary!!!
My main concern remains whether the Burton when completed will meet the standards necessary anyway - certainly trying to understand the manual is giving me nightmares
I think I will now wait until the car is finished, get an informal MOT from our local garage and then book it for the test.
As and when I am able to do it, I will report back in the hope of helping others.
Watch this space....
Keith
-
kgnoble
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:56 am
- CSC Membership Number: 2079J
- Country: UK
- Region: Surrey
- Contact:
Re: which test
Is it bad form to post to ones earlier post?
It looks as though I am might be a guinea pig for a Voluntary IVA when my Burton is ready - which I hope will be soon. If anyone has any views on my comments below, I would appreciate them...
I have now determined that removable steering wheels are acceptable - but not as an immobiliser
I can immobilise the car by fitting a Thatcham retrofit device that will act on the ignition and starter circuits separately
I cannot see anything that says certain controls need to be operated without removing ones hands from the steering wheel - ie indicators and horn and dipping headlights (although I recall reading this somewhere). However, I am loath to drill holes in the dashboard only to find that I need stalk controls. If I do does anyone know of suitable stalk controls to fit a 50mm steering column
Does anyone fully understand the "zones" in which either the dome test does or does not apply. For example can I place switches immediately behind the steering wheel that do not need to conform to dome tests
How far into the footwell do the zone restrictions apply - does the 2cv heater control which I have placed in there still have to conform even though it is set well back. If I place the choke control on the gearlever support does that need to be profiled to conform to a dome test.
I appreciate that many hours spent on the phone to the DVSA might help, but I have tried that and as they do not know the Burton they seem to be unwilling to help. Have any Burton or Lomax owners been here and done this recently?
Any comments welcome
Thanks
Keith
It looks as though I am might be a guinea pig for a Voluntary IVA when my Burton is ready - which I hope will be soon. If anyone has any views on my comments below, I would appreciate them...
I have now determined that removable steering wheels are acceptable - but not as an immobiliser
I can immobilise the car by fitting a Thatcham retrofit device that will act on the ignition and starter circuits separately
I cannot see anything that says certain controls need to be operated without removing ones hands from the steering wheel - ie indicators and horn and dipping headlights (although I recall reading this somewhere). However, I am loath to drill holes in the dashboard only to find that I need stalk controls. If I do does anyone know of suitable stalk controls to fit a 50mm steering column
Does anyone fully understand the "zones" in which either the dome test does or does not apply. For example can I place switches immediately behind the steering wheel that do not need to conform to dome tests
How far into the footwell do the zone restrictions apply - does the 2cv heater control which I have placed in there still have to conform even though it is set well back. If I place the choke control on the gearlever support does that need to be profiled to conform to a dome test.
I appreciate that many hours spent on the phone to the DVSA might help, but I have tried that and as they do not know the Burton they seem to be unwilling to help. Have any Burton or Lomax owners been here and done this recently?
Any comments welcome
Thanks
Keith
-
notsmartcar
- Posts: 314
- Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:09 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 1211
- Country: UK
- Region: southwest
Re: which test
Have you spoke to Callum he is your burton "man" I don't think switches and the like come in to it as long as you haven't altered or shortened the chassis, chassis number is visible and the engine number is the same and the doner car is in your name I carnt see a problem it's then radically altered ..Don't start with out the original car in your name and if it's on sorn that helps .which forms have you filled out for inspection