Dating by Engine number

The place to discuss IVA/MSVA experiences and issues related to building our cars

Moderator: moderator

Post Reply
kgnoble
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:56 am
CSC Membership Number: 2079J
Country: UK
Region: Surrey
Contact:

Dating by Engine number

Post by kgnoble » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:06 pm

Hi

Is it possible to date an engine from its number? Do I need to try to find out from Citroen (difficult) or is there a magic formula on which I can rely.

Background to this is whether my car was originally built prior to August 1980 and therefore has no need to have the VIN number checked at MOT. I do not have a VIN number and the only ID I have is the engine number. My car was first registered in November 1980 and therefore a possibility that it was built more than four months earlier.

Engine number is: 04 800 21832

Any help gratefully received

Keith

cmwbob
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:47 pm
CSC Membership Number: 1589J
Country: UK
Region: SouthEast

Re: Dating by Engine number

Post by cmwbob » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:12 pm

Hi Keith.,

You do not mention what the vehicle is.
Assuming worse case scenario and you need a vin, then if it is a Lomax the original citroen vin would be useless anyway as the plated wts would be wrong (although many do still have the citroen vin and manage to still get an mot pass cert).

Thus if it is a Lomax and it has the original chassis with the number stamped on it (or it is stated on your V5, which it should be) then I can help.

Bob

kgnoble
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:56 am
CSC Membership Number: 2079J
Country: UK
Region: Surrey
Contact:

Re: Dating by Engine number

Post by kgnoble » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:26 pm

Hi Bob

Thanks for your reply. The car was a Dyane and is gradually becoming a Burton - I am hoping to finish it by the end of March (cageyenne.co.uk/wp if anyone is interested in the blog...)

It looks like I am going to have to go the full BIVA route and I thought I would go for an MOT to test the car and to check it is getting up to BIVA spec.

As I do not have the V5 (lost in post by the seller!) and the DVLA wont issue a copy without an inspection, I thought I might be able to get the VIN from the MOT garage online to the DVLA database.

I am probably guilty of muddled thinking but I am hoping to make the whole process as easy as possible by getting various ducks in a row; not needing a VIN number displayed at this stage might help.

K

User avatar
moon monkey
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:38 pm
CSC Membership Number: 2213
Country: UK
Region: South East
Location: Brighton Area

Re: Dating by Engine number

Post by moon monkey » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:47 pm

An old thread, but I have useful new information. Well, new to me anyway!

I was also trying to find the age of my engine, from a pre-standardised VIN. No luck on the websites that I found with VIN tables -- my code wasn't listed. But I came across a reference to Citroen's own archivist, and thought it was worth a shot. To my surprise they responded within about half an hour, and although they had to include an (obviously standardised) disclaimer that Citroen to not approve of modifications to their cars, were otherwise very friendly and helpful.

The address is conservatoire@citroen.com

Post Reply