Lomax Incidence of cast rocker cover on cooling

Discuss all things technical

Moderator: moderator

Jack602
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:22 pm
CSC Membership Number: 2130
Country: UK
Region: Yorkshire

Re: Lomax Incidence of cast rocker cover on cooling

Post by Jack602 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:54 pm

I understand that low by-pass pressures are specified for vehicles where oil changes are likely to be missed, appropriate for a 2cv being run on a budget,, but not for a well maintained Special.
I believe that by pass pressures are set by the filter manufacturer relative to the construction of the filter (how much pressure the filter can take before the element or casing ruptures), I would rather not be by-passing unfiltered oil.
The OC51 filter is the one that Der Franzose supply for their 2cv conversion kit.

Jack
Pembleton Super sport

Attached photo shows the fixture I use on my lathe for machining a 3/4 unf thread in a 2cv filter head,
Attachments
Oil filter fixture Thumbnail.jpg
Oil filter fixture Thumbnail.jpg (90.28 KiB) Viewed 7529 times

Vyv Cox
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:02 am
CSC Membership Number: 2137
Country: France
Region: Deux Sevres, SW
Contact:

Re: Lomax Incidence of cast rocker cover on cooling

Post by Vyv Cox » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:11 am

I bought the large filter conversion following the article in Flat Out. In conjunction with the oil temperature adaptor the large filter will not fit as it fouls the chassis on my Lomax and even the small filter seems to contact it at times, presumably at certain revs.

kawlomax223
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:19 pm
CSC Membership Number: 920
Country: UK
Region: South West
Location: Devon

Re: Lomax Incidence of cast rocker cover on cooling

Post by kawlomax223 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:13 pm

Jack602 wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:22 pm
I use a smaller oil filter (Ford Fiesta) on the same 3/4" unf adaptor in the winter.
I find with the oil cooler blanked off with Tank tape and using 10/40 oil the engine quickly reaches operating temperature, correct temperature and pressure was maintained on a 70 mile trip last weekend.

Jack
Hi Jack. What are you calling ‘operating and correct temperature and pressure’? As I understand it Citroën didn’t specify operating temperature. Where are you getting this information from? With an air cooled engine there are so many variables... engine load, engine speed, ambient temperature etc.
👋

kawlomax223
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:19 pm
CSC Membership Number: 920
Country: UK
Region: South West
Location: Devon

Re: Lomax Incidence of cast rocker cover on cooling

Post by kawlomax223 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:59 pm

kawlomax223 wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:13 pm
Jack602 wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:22 pm
I use a smaller oil filter (Ford Fiesta) on the same 3/4" unf adaptor in the winter.
I find with the oil cooler blanked off with Tank tape and using 10/40 oil the engine quickly reaches operating temperature, correct temperature and pressure was maintained on a 70 mile trip last weekend.

Jack
Hi Jack. What are you calling ‘operating and correct temperature and pressure’? As I understand it Citroën didn’t specify operating temperature. Where are you getting this information from? With an air cooled engine there are so many variables... engine load, engine speed, ambient temperature etc.
👋

Lomax76
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 8:24 pm
Country: France
Region: Normandy

Re: Lomax Incidence of cast rocker cover on cooling

Post by Lomax76 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:31 pm

I suppose Jack is refering to Citroen data, @80°c the pressure for a 602 engine should be 6 to 6,5 bar (87 to 94 psi) for 6000 rpm..

Jack602
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:22 pm
CSC Membership Number: 2130
Country: UK
Region: Yorkshire

Re: Lomax Incidence of cast rocker cover on cooling

Post by Jack602 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:45 pm

Oil temperatures are set by the oil manufactures rather than by make of car, and as such recommended temperatures have crept up over the years.

The modern aftermarket temp gauge fitted to my special shows red below 50 degree c and above 120 degree c.

References below are from two books, both by A. Grahame Bell. These books also cover filters as discussed in this thread, I can recommend either of these books to Special builders interested in engine development from first principles.
The summary notes I made on oil temperature from the Lubrication chapters of these books are as follows:-

Performance Tuning in Theory & practice (Four strokes) (1986 edition)
Min 50 degree C, Ideal 80-90 C Max 150 C for short periods

Tuning New Generation Engines (1988)
SF oil min, 10-40 when air below 15C
Ideal 90 -120C 130C even 140C ok for short periods

Hope this is of interest

Jack
Pembleton Super Sport 602

Ken Hanna
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:30 pm
CSC Membership Number: 724
Country: UK
Region: North Yorkshire

Re: Lomax Incidence of cast rocker cover on cooling

Post by Ken Hanna » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:49 pm

Indeed, plus the specified pressure for a Citroen A series engine seems to be higher than for designs of a similar age.
That may be linked to the narrow width of the big end bearings...

Oil at 80*C, M28 and M28/1 engines, 5.5 to 6.5 bar, 78 to 92 psi at 6,000 rpm
.
Ken


Lomax76 wrote: ↑
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:31 pm
I suppose Jack is refering to Citroen data, @80°c the pressure for a 602 engine should be 6 to 6,5 bar (87 to 94 psi) for 6000 rpm..

Lomax76
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 8:24 pm
Country: France
Region: Normandy

Re: Lomax Incidence of cast rocker cover on cooling

Post by Lomax76 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:03 am

I will not go this route I do not think bearing insertion of a 2cv engine can stand without damage more than 120degree C.
All these assumption are made for modern water cooled engine with adapted metallurgie.
Advice is cheap
Jack602 wrote: ↑
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:45 pm
Performance Tuning in Theory & practice (Four strokes) (1986 edition)
Min 50 degree C, Ideal 80-90 C Max 150 C for short periods

Jack602
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:22 pm
CSC Membership Number: 2130
Country: UK
Region: Yorkshire

Re: Lomax Incidence of cast rocker cover on cooling

Post by Jack602 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:01 pm

Ken,
Do you know what max oil temperatures 2cv racers are running at without engine damage?

Jack

Lomax76
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 8:24 pm
Country: France
Region: Normandy

Re: Lomax Incidence of cast rocker cover on cooling

Post by Lomax76 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:35 am

Actually I think he does very well.
But now we are getting fare away from the Subject. My point is not to make my Lomax a racer but optimize the performance and the reliability. I am looking for the best MTBF ratio.
Jack602 wrote: ↑
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:01 pm
Ken,
Do you know what max oil temperatures 2cv racers are running at without engine damage?

Post Reply