Lomax retrofit manifold,
Moderator: moderator
Lomax retrofit manifold,
When I bought my Lomax 223 back to 2011, it was fitted with the carburetor heater shopped off from the manifold and the exhaust going across to a silencer on the left side. This exhaust and silencer being rusted and perforated I changed for a 2 in 1. So far sound OK but in chilly days the carburetor is icy.
Then question is what to do?:
1) going back to regular fitting (need to find pipe going through heater box)
2) place an heater on the carburetor:
a) as red here place a cooper wire wrap around exhaust to carburetor
b) as seen on Blackjack Avion circulate oil in the manifold thus heating the carburetor and cooling oil
c) install an heating plug with a switch as in certain petrol car.
Suggestions are welcome
Cheers
Then question is what to do?:
1) going back to regular fitting (need to find pipe going through heater box)
2) place an heater on the carburetor:
a) as red here place a cooper wire wrap around exhaust to carburetor
b) as seen on Blackjack Avion circulate oil in the manifold thus heating the carburetor and cooling oil
c) install an heating plug with a switch as in certain petrol car.
Suggestions are welcome
Cheers
-
Jack602
- Posts: 147
- Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:22 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2130
- Country: UK
- Region: Yorkshire
Re: Lomax retrofit manifold,
The standard 2cv manifold works well on the coldest days on my Pembleton, even on frosty mornings!
- Attachments
-
- Trailer in Frost at Pensax Jan 2020 (3).jpg (368.44 KiB) Viewed 10150 times
- billdavies
- Posts: 79
- Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:18 am
- CSC Membership Number: 1986
- Country: UK
- Region: Ayrshire KA7
- Location: Ayrshire
Re: Lomax retrofit manifold,
Lomax76,
On my first trike I had icing problems on the New Year Run, Standard 2CV carb, always very cold and frosty with ice and snow on the corners. Very hard to identify as by the time I got out of the car and opened the cover the ice had melted!!! after a couple of stops we went for coffee and cake in local supermarket. On the way out found a cardboard box and cut a strip to fit around the carb, tied on with a tie wrap. No more frosty carb. It was replaced on an annual basis for the cold run.
Simples!!
Bill
On my first trike I had icing problems on the New Year Run, Standard 2CV carb, always very cold and frosty with ice and snow on the corners. Very hard to identify as by the time I got out of the car and opened the cover the ice had melted!!! after a couple of stops we went for coffee and cake in local supermarket. On the way out found a cardboard box and cut a strip to fit around the carb, tied on with a tie wrap. No more frosty carb. It was replaced on an annual basis for the cold run.
Simples!!
Bill
Own design and build of trike,2CV powered and transmission
Re: Lomax retrofit manifold,
Bill
Ta I'll buy this one on top of retrofitting the intake/exhaust. I feel using the Lomax a must after all that time locked home .
Cheers.
Ta I'll buy this one on top of retrofitting the intake/exhaust. I feel using the Lomax a must after all that time locked home .
Cheers.
Re: Lomax retrofit manifold,
Hi,
Following on on the retrofit I have ordered the 2 pipes going inside the air-heater in order to go back to initial design. But yes there is a But in this case with the bonnet design I have it is not possible to fit the alternator. I am looking around to see if a smaller alternator could be fitted even the small one for Kubota does not fit...I might have to go back to the 2 in1 setup.. Then find how to install an heater.. And as recommended by Bill carry a cardboard.
Following on on the retrofit I have ordered the 2 pipes going inside the air-heater in order to go back to initial design. But yes there is a But in this case with the bonnet design I have it is not possible to fit the alternator. I am looking around to see if a smaller alternator could be fitted even the small one for Kubota does not fit...I might have to go back to the 2 in1 setup.. Then find how to install an heater.. And as recommended by Bill carry a cardboard.
-
cmwbob
- Posts: 178
- Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:47 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 1589J
- Country: UK
- Region: SouthEast
Re: Lomax retrofit manifold,
simplest form of manifold heater is a headlamp bulb arranged to shine into capped off
manifold with override switch (off/on/stat) and frost air temp stat.
manifold with override switch (off/on/stat) and frost air temp stat.