Exhaust bandage
Moderator: moderator
- moon monkey
- Posts: 58
- Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:38 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2213
- Country: UK
- Region: South East
- Location: Brighton Area
Exhaust bandage
My exhaust headers are rusty, so eventually I plan to replace them with stainless steel or something equally shiny. But until then I quite like the look of the "bandage" style exhaust wrap tape, as a purely cosmetic improvement. I was wondering if insulating the headers would have an adverse effect on air cooling? Do the pipes act as heat-sinks at all?
-
Jack602
- Posts: 147
- Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:22 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2130
- Country: UK
- Region: Yorkshire
Re: Exhaust bandage
I painted the Citroen manifold with "Granville Cylinder Black" & touch up each Spring.
Jack
Pembleton SuperSport
Jack
Pembleton SuperSport
- Attachments
-
- reindeer inn Aug 2020 cropped (2).jpg (184.29 KiB) Viewed 10807 times
-
motomallett
- Posts: 92
- Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:30 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2031j
- Country: UK
- Region: southwest
Re: Exhaust bandage
HI Jack can i purchase a Alternator and fan belt cover like yours regards Roger
-
Jack602
- Posts: 147
- Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:22 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2130
- Country: UK
- Region: Yorkshire
Re: Exhaust bandage
Roger,
My fan belt cover is a transmission casing from a Honda Dylan scooter.
I purchased mine from a scooter breakers, Black Knight, in Stainforth, Yorkshire, they had several in stock.
Regards
Jack
My fan belt cover is a transmission casing from a Honda Dylan scooter.
I purchased mine from a scooter breakers, Black Knight, in Stainforth, Yorkshire, they had several in stock.
Regards
Jack
- Attachments
-
- Cover France 2019 (2).jpg (143.92 KiB) Viewed 10800 times
-
motomallett
- Posts: 92
- Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:30 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2031j
- Country: UK
- Region: southwest
Re: Exhaust bandage
Thanks Jacks should have known you would have found something adaptable and looking good. regards Roger
-
kawlomax223
- Posts: 79
- Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:19 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 920
- Country: UK
- Region: South West
- Location: Devon
Re: Exhaust bandage
Hi Jack. Very much like your alternator/belt cover but it appears to obstruct at least 50% of your oil cooler! 
Re: Exhaust bandage
Bonjour,
Back to the subject: Exhaust bandage, This should no be of any arm I will even think it is better, hotter gas will travel faster. I have seen many Lomax and bike with bandage. To conclude from a safety point of view it is better as it will prevent somebody to get burned.
Cheers
Back to the subject: Exhaust bandage, This should no be of any arm I will even think it is better, hotter gas will travel faster. I have seen many Lomax and bike with bandage. To conclude from a safety point of view it is better as it will prevent somebody to get burned.
Cheers
moon monkey wrote: ↑Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:57 pmI was wondering if insulating the headers would have an adverse effect on air cooling
- moon monkey
- Posts: 58
- Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:38 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2213
- Country: UK
- Region: South East
- Location: Brighton Area
Re: Exhaust bandage
Thanks for that! I hadn't considered the extra efficiency of getting the exhaust out. That's a very interesting point.
-
Vyv Cox
- Posts: 133
- Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:02 am
- CSC Membership Number: 2137
- Country: France
- Region: Deux Sevres, SW
- Contact:
Re: Exhaust bandage
A couple of points about this query. Stainless steel exhausts do not remain shiny after heating, they need polishing from time to time. Wrapping them causes even stainless exhausts to corrode if left wet.