2CV rear hub removal
Moderator: moderator
-
Jack602
- Posts: 147
- Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:22 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2130
- Country: UK
- Region: Yorkshire
Re: 2CV rear hub removal
Tony,
I used the ECAS brake adjuster kit on my Pembleton.
The head on the bolt supplied with my kit fouled the brake shoes (I used a smaller head bolt from my stock), the ECAS site talks about a modified kit and the screw head appears smaller, so you should be fine - but worth checking.
Jack
Pembleton SuperSport (passed its first MoT this week!).
I used the ECAS brake adjuster kit on my Pembleton.
The head on the bolt supplied with my kit fouled the brake shoes (I used a smaller head bolt from my stock), the ECAS site talks about a modified kit and the screw head appears smaller, so you should be fine - but worth checking.
Jack
Pembleton SuperSport (passed its first MoT this week!).
Re: 2CV rear hub removal
Thanks Jack, will speak to ECAS.
Tony
Tony
-
Rocketman1955
- Posts: 80
- Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:31 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2163
- Country: UK
- Region: Essex
Re: 2CV rear hub removal
Ref the hub nut torque - I have just taken my drum off.
The active arm was on RHS and when trying to undothe nut the suspension arm went up into the body before I could get enough torque on to undo the nut.
I had seen the 2 CV trick of putting a wedge above the arm to effectively lock it to the body and react the torque, but could not see any easy way to do that on my Lomax without risking pushing the boot floor out!
Eventually I borrowed a chordless impact wrench that took it off in seconds.
I agree with the above comment about not overdoing the torque when doing the nut up.
I have a 30ins long torque wrench and was surprised how little force is required to get the correct torque.
Makes me wonder why owners have such problems undoing them - I suspect mechanics have just done them up 'tight' rather than using the specification? Of course the locking nut also has to be clear of the threads!
The active arm was on RHS and when trying to undothe nut the suspension arm went up into the body before I could get enough torque on to undo the nut.
I had seen the 2 CV trick of putting a wedge above the arm to effectively lock it to the body and react the torque, but could not see any easy way to do that on my Lomax without risking pushing the boot floor out!
Eventually I borrowed a chordless impact wrench that took it off in seconds.
I agree with the above comment about not overdoing the torque when doing the nut up.
I have a 30ins long torque wrench and was surprised how little force is required to get the correct torque.
Makes me wonder why owners have such problems undoing them - I suspect mechanics have just done them up 'tight' rather than using the specification? Of course the locking nut also has to be clear of the threads!
-
notsmartcar
- Posts: 314
- Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:09 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 1211
- Country: UK
- Region: southwest
Re: 2CV rear hub removal
If I get a really stubborn one I have a scaffold pole and put it over or under the axle behind the back plate to suit the torque reaction and also the only time I’ve lost threads on the stub axle is when I’ve tried to drill out the peening on the nut ..so I never do that any more
-
Davidm
- Posts: 44
- Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:10 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2205
- Country: United Kingdom
- Region: Cumbria
Re: 2CV rear hub removal
To restrain the suspension arm when loosening or tightening the hub nut I made a tool with a piece of heavy section channel (about 2 ft long) drilled near the end to fit a wheel stud and a steel strap (about 10" long) between a different wheel stud and that channel.
I tried to attach a photo but the file is too big ?! - Is there a way to overcome this ?
The tool works well - I wish it had been my idea.
Davidm
I tried to attach a photo but the file is too big ?! - Is there a way to overcome this ?
The tool works well - I wish it had been my idea.
Davidm
-
Jack602
- Posts: 147
- Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:22 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2130
- Country: UK
- Region: Yorkshire
Re: 2CV rear hub removal
David,
To resize a photo:-
Open photo, right click on photo, you will have an option to Resize, I choose "suitable for email", then Save (I add Small to the title) & then post this new copy.
Hope this helps
Jack
To resize a photo:-
Open photo, right click on photo, you will have an option to Resize, I choose "suitable for email", then Save (I add Small to the title) & then post this new copy.
Hope this helps
Jack
-
Davidm
- Posts: 44
- Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:10 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2205
- Country: United Kingdom
- Region: Cumbria
Re: 2CV rear hub removal
2cv hub restraint tool
- Attachments
-
- 2cv hub tool.JPG (384.73 KiB) Viewed 10065 times
-
Davidm
- Posts: 44
- Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:10 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2205
- Country: United Kingdom
- Region: Cumbria
Re: 2CV rear hub removal
Apologies but I've posted a red herring ! That tool I suggest for restraining the hub works for the front hubs but not the rear hub because the hub nut for the rear hub clamps the bearing inner races to the swinging arm - not the hub and brake drum.
So to undo the hub nut to remove the rear hub the swinging arm needs to be restrained eg by using a scoffold pole as notsmartcar above or in my case I confess to using stilsons to grip the suspension arm just behind the brake backplate.
Davidm
So to undo the hub nut to remove the rear hub the swinging arm needs to be restrained eg by using a scoffold pole as notsmartcar above or in my case I confess to using stilsons to grip the suspension arm just behind the brake backplate.
Davidm