I hope this is in tge right place, and that someone with more knowledge than me can advise.
I am thinking of buying another kit car. Not another Lomax but a Gentry.But this could equally apply to any kit car. For those unfamiliar with Gentrys, they are are usually aTriumph Herald based car styled like an early 50's MG.Most of them are badged as MG's. This particular car was last on the road as a kit car in 2012. The guy that bought it as a barn find spent eleven years restoring it but unfortunately died before completion. It is now for sale as part of his estate. It is registered on the V5C as a green Triumph Gentry TF. Initially I thought all OK and there would not be any problems putting it back on the road.
checking the online MOT however it states the tested car was a red MG. The previous owner had it resprayed but not sure when I am pretty sure it is a genuine car and the original builder wanted to do the whole MG thing.
Where does it leave the car now though? The (almost) complete restoration has been done to a very high standard and I really want to own it.
Any advice would be most welcome.
Tony
Advice needed on possible licencing pitfalls
Moderator: moderator
-
tony-morony
- Posts: 49
- Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 5:33 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2119
- Country: UK
- Region: Lincolnshire
Re: Advice needed on possible licencing pitfalls
If it was me I would notify the DVLA of a colour change before taking it for an MOT. As you have a V5C transferring the document into your name is a simple five minute job on the DVLA website.
Alan
Alan
-
tony-morony
- Posts: 49
- Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 5:33 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2119
- Country: UK
- Region: Lincolnshire
Re: Advice needed on possible licencing pitfalls
The colour is correct on the V5C.
I wondered if there would be a problem as it is now registered as a Triumph Gentry TF but last time it was MOTed it was registered as an MG and before that it was a Triumpb Herald.
Tony
I wondered if there would be a problem as it is now registered as a Triumph Gentry TF but last time it was MOTed it was registered as an MG and before that it was a Triumpb Herald.
Tony
Re: Advice needed on possible licencing pitfalls
The V5C is the most important document I wouldn't worry about the MOT certificates. In the old days the MOT testers mostly guessed what the car was, in fact this was a big help to some owners who hadn’t changed the original donors details in the log book and years later they used the MOT Certificates to support a change to kit car status.
If you have the V5C change it to your name, submit the car for MOT and take the log book with you. Get the examiner to write the V5C details on the MOT Certificate and it’s job done.
Alan
If you have the V5C change it to your name, submit the car for MOT and take the log book with you. Get the examiner to write the V5C details on the MOT Certificate and it’s job done.
Alan