Lomax 223 Rear chassis stiffener

Discuss all things technical

Moderator: moderator

Post Reply
Lomax76
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 8:24 pm
Country: France
Region: Normandy

Lomax 223 Rear chassis stiffener

Post by Lomax76 » Sun May 22, 2022 10:54 am

Hi,
What is this stiffener made for? (cf photo) It does impinge with rear wheel only few millimeter clearence. I have not seen this part in Lomax literature. I think my Lomax was previously fitted with a trailer hook this might explain...
Is it safe to remove.
Lomax223 rear chassis.jpg
Lomax223 rear chassis.jpg (184.89 KiB) Viewed 8989 times

AlanM
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:54 am
Country: UK
Region: Peterborough

Re: Lomax 223 Rear chassis stiffener

Post by AlanM » Wed May 25, 2022 9:17 am

Hello Lomax 76

It's difficult to tell from the photo what the bracket is connected to? Does it connect the single use swinging arm to the opposite side unused one? If so it could be to utilise both springs with a single swinging arm.

Alan

Lomax76
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 8:24 pm
Country: France
Region: Normandy

Re: Lomax 223 Rear chassis stiffener

Post by Lomax76 » Fri May 27, 2022 12:34 pm

Bonjour Alan

Thanks for comments, Yes It does connect the single use swinging arm to the opposite side unused one, thus it is better not to removed it, but it is very close to wheel no way I can fit a 135x15 tyre unless I modify the setup. I was told some have done it! I have to go to the drawing table.
Cheers
Paul

cmwbob
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:47 pm
CSC Membership Number: 1589J
Country: UK
Region: SouthEast

Re: Lomax 223 Rear chassis stiffener

Post by cmwbob » Fri May 27, 2022 1:36 pm

If the purpose of that bracket is to act as a rear swinging arm tie it would appear to be not too effective. It is definitely a builder specific item.

Your best procedure if considering removing the bracket an thus the clearance restriction is to fit a Lomax rear ARB.

Lomax76
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 8:24 pm
Country: France
Region: Normandy

Re: Lomax 223 Rear chassis stiffener

Post by Lomax76 » Fri May 27, 2022 6:48 pm

Bob,

Thanks for the explanation it is in line with what Alan wrote and this is maybe why the car is understeering.

The questions are :
1) Can the ARB be easily retrofitted ?
2) How to get one ?
As I have bought the car already made I do not have all details concerning the construction

cmwbob
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:47 pm
CSC Membership Number: 1589J
Country: UK
Region: SouthEast

Re: Lomax 223 Rear chassis stiffener

Post by cmwbob » Sat May 28, 2022 12:04 pm

The rear arms both require steel plates welding to them to take the P clips to clamp the ARB.

Graham the new custodian of Lomax Cars should have ARB's in stock

cmwbob
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:47 pm
CSC Membership Number: 1589J
Country: UK
Region: SouthEast

Re: Lomax 223 Rear chassis stiffener

Post by cmwbob » Sat May 28, 2022 12:23 pm

pic from previous posting on here showing ARB
Attachments
Rear arm and ARB in situ.jpg
Rear arm and ARB in situ.jpg (86.31 KiB) Viewed 8920 times

Lomax76
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 8:24 pm
Country: France
Region: Normandy

Re: Lomax 223 Rear chassis stiffener

Post by Lomax76 » Sat May 28, 2022 7:55 pm

Hello Bob,
Thanks again for your kind attention, I do better understand by now how it works. If the plates are not already welded I will have probably to dismantle the rear axle.
Tomorrow I'll dive under my Lomax to check.
Cheers Paul

Post Reply