Lomax 223 Rear chassis stiffener
Moderator: moderator
Lomax 223 Rear chassis stiffener
Hi,
What is this stiffener made for? (cf photo) It does impinge with rear wheel only few millimeter clearence. I have not seen this part in Lomax literature. I think my Lomax was previously fitted with a trailer hook this might explain...
Is it safe to remove.
What is this stiffener made for? (cf photo) It does impinge with rear wheel only few millimeter clearence. I have not seen this part in Lomax literature. I think my Lomax was previously fitted with a trailer hook this might explain...
Is it safe to remove.
Re: Lomax 223 Rear chassis stiffener
Hello Lomax 76
It's difficult to tell from the photo what the bracket is connected to? Does it connect the single use swinging arm to the opposite side unused one? If so it could be to utilise both springs with a single swinging arm.
Alan
It's difficult to tell from the photo what the bracket is connected to? Does it connect the single use swinging arm to the opposite side unused one? If so it could be to utilise both springs with a single swinging arm.
Alan
Re: Lomax 223 Rear chassis stiffener
Bonjour Alan
Thanks for comments, Yes It does connect the single use swinging arm to the opposite side unused one, thus it is better not to removed it, but it is very close to wheel no way I can fit a 135x15 tyre unless I modify the setup. I was told some have done it! I have to go to the drawing table.
Cheers
Paul
Thanks for comments, Yes It does connect the single use swinging arm to the opposite side unused one, thus it is better not to removed it, but it is very close to wheel no way I can fit a 135x15 tyre unless I modify the setup. I was told some have done it! I have to go to the drawing table.
Cheers
Paul
-
cmwbob
- Posts: 178
- Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:47 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 1589J
- Country: UK
- Region: SouthEast
Re: Lomax 223 Rear chassis stiffener
If the purpose of that bracket is to act as a rear swinging arm tie it would appear to be not too effective. It is definitely a builder specific item.
Your best procedure if considering removing the bracket an thus the clearance restriction is to fit a Lomax rear ARB.
Your best procedure if considering removing the bracket an thus the clearance restriction is to fit a Lomax rear ARB.
Re: Lomax 223 Rear chassis stiffener
Bob,
Thanks for the explanation it is in line with what Alan wrote and this is maybe why the car is understeering.
The questions are :
1) Can the ARB be easily retrofitted ?
2) How to get one ?
As I have bought the car already made I do not have all details concerning the construction
Thanks for the explanation it is in line with what Alan wrote and this is maybe why the car is understeering.
The questions are :
1) Can the ARB be easily retrofitted ?
2) How to get one ?
As I have bought the car already made I do not have all details concerning the construction
-
cmwbob
- Posts: 178
- Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:47 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 1589J
- Country: UK
- Region: SouthEast
Re: Lomax 223 Rear chassis stiffener
The rear arms both require steel plates welding to them to take the P clips to clamp the ARB.
Graham the new custodian of Lomax Cars should have ARB's in stock
Graham the new custodian of Lomax Cars should have ARB's in stock
-
cmwbob
- Posts: 178
- Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:47 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 1589J
- Country: UK
- Region: SouthEast
Re: Lomax 223 Rear chassis stiffener
pic from previous posting on here showing ARB
- Attachments
-
- Rear arm and ARB in situ.jpg (86.31 KiB) Viewed 8919 times
Re: Lomax 223 Rear chassis stiffener
Hello Bob,
Thanks again for your kind attention, I do better understand by now how it works. If the plates are not already welded I will have probably to dismantle the rear axle.
Tomorrow I'll dive under my Lomax to check.
Cheers Paul
Thanks again for your kind attention, I do better understand by now how it works. If the plates are not already welded I will have probably to dismantle the rear axle.
Tomorrow I'll dive under my Lomax to check.
Cheers Paul