Oil Temp. Gauge
Moderator: moderator
-
DaveWard
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:14 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2223
- Country: UK
- Region: East Mids
- Location: Ashby de la Zouch
Oil Temp. Gauge
Hi Guys ........All Warm Enough ??
Just a quick one. I'm looking to fit an oil temp. gauge to my BRA and was wondering how or where to access the oil circuit to fit the sensor. I may have to follow up with an additional oil cooler but have heard that fitting an OVERSIZED oil-filter is a good bet for adding more cooling surface ??
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Dave
Just a quick one. I'm looking to fit an oil temp. gauge to my BRA and was wondering how or where to access the oil circuit to fit the sensor. I may have to follow up with an additional oil cooler but have heard that fitting an OVERSIZED oil-filter is a good bet for adding more cooling surface ??
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Dave
-
CSC1540
- Posts: 116
- Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:00 am
- CSC Membership Number: 1540
- Country: UK
- Region: NORTH WEST
Re: Oil Temp. Gauge
Hi Dave , I don't have a oil temp gauge nor a larger oil filter , but I do have a larger oil cooler which based on oil pressure seems to be doing a good job
Ray
Ray
-
Jack602
- Posts: 147
- Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:22 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2130
- Country: UK
- Region: Yorkshire
Re: Oil Temp. Gauge
Dave,
I have both the larger oil filter & a oil temperature gauge.
I drilled & tapped the 2cv oil filter housing out to 3/4" unf & hade a stub by drilling a length of 3/4" unf threaded rod.
Then you can use a readily available (inexpensive) oil filter sandwich gauge adaptor for this thread and have a large choice of filters.
I use a Ford Fiesta filter (small) in the winter and a VW Passat 1.9 (large) in the summer.
Plenty of room on a Pembleton, you will need to check for clearance on your 2CV chassis.
Jack
Pembleton Supersport 602cc
I have both the larger oil filter & a oil temperature gauge.
I drilled & tapped the 2cv oil filter housing out to 3/4" unf & hade a stub by drilling a length of 3/4" unf threaded rod.
Then you can use a readily available (inexpensive) oil filter sandwich gauge adaptor for this thread and have a large choice of filters.
I use a Ford Fiesta filter (small) in the winter and a VW Passat 1.9 (large) in the summer.
Plenty of room on a Pembleton, you will need to check for clearance on your 2CV chassis.
Jack
Pembleton Supersport 602cc
- Attachments
-
- oil filter adaptor & large and small filters.jpg (339.4 KiB) Viewed 42563 times
-
Davidm
- Posts: 44
- Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:10 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2205
- Country: United Kingdom
- Region: Cumbria
Re: Oil Temp. Gauge
Dave
I suggest fitting a temperature gauge before modifying for extra cooling either in a sandwich plate like in a preceding photo or use a sender in the sump plug. I have a pembleton with 2cv engine, the std. 2cv oil filter and standard oil cooler (with fan removed of course) and find the engine usually runs a little cooler than ideal - about 60C rising to 80C in hot weather and up long hills.
I installed a sandwich plate between the filter and crankcase but had a bad experience with a cheap electronic sender and gauge. The system gave a reading about 10C high and then failed after 3 months. I drilled the electrics out of the sender and fitted a capillary gauge. This is accurate to 2C and has worked fine for about 2 years so far. The one I bought is like this -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313927748151 ... Sw4btiPEQe
- but you can get capillary gauges specifically for cars.
Davidm
Personally I would avoid a larger oil filter because with extra oil it will take longer for the oil to warm up (and cool) and I have found my engine to be usually a little over-cooled.
I suggest fitting a temperature gauge before modifying for extra cooling either in a sandwich plate like in a preceding photo or use a sender in the sump plug. I have a pembleton with 2cv engine, the std. 2cv oil filter and standard oil cooler (with fan removed of course) and find the engine usually runs a little cooler than ideal - about 60C rising to 80C in hot weather and up long hills.
I installed a sandwich plate between the filter and crankcase but had a bad experience with a cheap electronic sender and gauge. The system gave a reading about 10C high and then failed after 3 months. I drilled the electrics out of the sender and fitted a capillary gauge. This is accurate to 2C and has worked fine for about 2 years so far. The one I bought is like this -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313927748151 ... Sw4btiPEQe
- but you can get capillary gauges specifically for cars.
Davidm
Personally I would avoid a larger oil filter because with extra oil it will take longer for the oil to warm up (and cool) and I have found my engine to be usually a little over-cooled.
-
Jack602
- Posts: 147
- Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:22 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2130
- Country: UK
- Region: Yorkshire
Re: Oil Temp. Gauge
Yes, you have to watch for over cooling, hence the smaller filter in winter, I also cover the oil cooler with tank/duct tape in the winter and only remove once longer summer trips arrive, this year tape I took tape off in June!
Jack
Pembleton SuperSport
Jack
Pembleton SuperSport
- Attachments
-
- Tank tape oil cooler March 2019.jpg (130.36 KiB) Viewed 42559 times
-
Jack602
- Posts: 147
- Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:22 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2130
- Country: UK
- Region: Yorkshire
Re: Oil Temp. Gauge
I also have the latest Burton finned rocker boxes, these lowered oil temp by 10 degree C in any given conditions, I think I now have enough headway for a 650cc kit.
Jack
Pembleton SuperSport 602cc
Jack
Pembleton SuperSport 602cc
- Attachments
-
- Burton Rocker boxes April 2022.jpg (179.14 KiB) Viewed 42551 times
-
DaveWard
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:14 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2223
- Country: UK
- Region: East Mids
- Location: Ashby de la Zouch
Re: Oil Temp. Gauge
Thanks guys, I'll study your info and pictures . Once I have a temp. gauge fitted I'll get a better idea how to proceed .
Again many thanks to ALL
Dave Ward
Again many thanks to ALL
Dave Ward
-
howardjs
- Posts: 660
- Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:15 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 1785
- Country: UK
- Region: NW
Re: Oil Temp. Gauge
The more you know, the more you worry! Fit aluminium rocker covers to dissipate the heat away from the barrels and just fit a pressure gauge to warn you of impending doom!! I just have the standard cooler and filter, not seized up yet... Good job I'm leaning on a wooden desk!
Alternatively, If you really do need to know when the oil is about to catch fire...I have seen a very nice double temp gauge with sensors attached to the spark plugs... The problem with the car type oil temp sender is it's size which makes it hade to fit without sticking out somewhere.
Howard
Alternatively, If you really do need to know when the oil is about to catch fire...I have seen a very nice double temp gauge with sensors attached to the spark plugs... The problem with the car type oil temp sender is it's size which makes it hade to fit without sticking out somewhere.
Howard
-
Jack602
- Posts: 147
- Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:22 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2130
- Country: UK
- Region: Yorkshire
Re: Oil Temp. Gauge
Howard,
The extra senders tuck away neatly on my car, using a standard adaptor flange.
The three senders are oil pressure, supplementary 30psi oil pressure warning light (to warn you before it is too late!) and temp sender.
Jack
Pembleton SuperSport 602c
The extra senders tuck away neatly on my car, using a standard adaptor flange.
The three senders are oil pressure, supplementary 30psi oil pressure warning light (to warn you before it is too late!) and temp sender.
Jack
Pembleton SuperSport 602c
- Attachments
-
- Oil adaptor in place (2).jpg (228.35 KiB) Viewed 42527 times
-
Davidm
- Posts: 44
- Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:10 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2205
- Country: United Kingdom
- Region: Cumbria
Re: Oil Temp. Gauge
Dave
If you can protect a sender in the sump plug from weather and damage it is an easy compact installation. Like this :-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283301356009 ... a0QAvD_BwE
I too fitted Burton aluminium finned rocker box covers which reduced oil temperature generally by around 6C.
Davidm