Pushrod tube expansion

Discuss all things technical

Moderator: moderator

Post Reply
Vyv Cox
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:02 am
CSC Membership Number: 2137
Country: France
Region: Deux Sevres, SW
Contact:

Pushrod tube expansion

Post by Vyv Cox » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:59 am

I paid someone to replace the pushrod tubes in one of my 602 heads. I now find, the hard way, that they leak oil due to not having been expanded.

There no current tools to do this and if they were they are pricey. In an internet search I came across a mention of a Pembleton forum suggestion of using a concrete fixing bolt as a substitute tool. Has anyone done this, or know a link to the complete suggestion?

Thanks for any input.

notsmartcar
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:09 pm
CSC Membership Number: 1211
Country: UK
Region: southwest

Re: Pushrod tube expansion

Post by notsmartcar » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:21 pm

A small rawlbolt will do it but right or wrong I use loctite as well

Vyv Cox
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:02 am
CSC Membership Number: 2137
Country: France
Region: Deux Sevres, SW
Contact:

Re: Pushrod tube expansion

Post by Vyv Cox » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:49 am

Thanks yes, I have now done it successfully using a Rawlbolt. The tubes were already in situ, fitted professionally - leaked. I paid another professional to replace them as I could see some damage - leaked. It took me an hour with a €10 tool to achieve success.

Not sure about Loctite, it is not highly stable at temperature. Even the red stuff is released by heating although I don't know the softening temperature.

Vyv Cox
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:02 am
CSC Membership Number: 2137
Country: France
Region: Deux Sevres, SW
Contact:

Re: Pushrod tube expansion

Post by Vyv Cox » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:31 am

I will post the information I have for reference. In UK the expansion tool is made by Graham Seed of 2cvtools.com, tool number cit2cv070

In Belgium, Filip at filipvg@vgs2cv.be

In The Netherlands, Le Patron Ophemert. https://lepatron.nl/

Post Reply