Almost had my Falcon bodied three wheeler for two years and been a club member for a year but only just got around to posting as it's been keeping me busy as a rolling rebuild.
I noticed a pin hole in exhaust mounting flange where it meets the exhaust manifold last weekend, which turned out to be two holes and after removing both separate side pipes it looks like it was also leaking out of pretty much each joint!
So now I get to learn how to make a custom exhaust.
Pipe, bends and clamps can be bought easily enough from ebay but does anybody have an advice on how to make or get a pair of the flared ends I need to match the stock manifold?
Any advice on pipe diameter would also be helpful. It's setup to run a pipe down each side as it's too low to use the stock collector box under the gearbox.
Thanks
Exhaust flange for manifold.
Moderator: moderator
-
Blue Icarian Wings
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2025 9:05 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2305
- Country: GB
- Region: North West
Exhaust flange for manifold.
- Attachments
-
- Exhaust-Holes-Forum.jpg (336.26 KiB) Viewed 10471 times
-
hutchii
- Posts: 257
- Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:56 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 1865
- Country: UK
- Region: SE
Re: Exhaust flange for manifold.
Hi.
If I understand your post correctly, you're after the pipe that are inside the exhaust heat exchangers?
I have 2 that have had exchangers removed.
Any help?
If I understand your post correctly, you're after the pipe that are inside the exhaust heat exchangers?
I have 2 that have had exchangers removed.
Any help?
-
Blue Icarian Wings
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2025 9:05 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2305
- Country: GB
- Region: North West
Re: Exhaust flange for manifold.
I think those are the ones I need.
I've just had a look on https://www.franzose.de as it has the exploded diagrams and you've taught me that the front box doesn't connect through the heat exchangers as I thought, but to them. Good thing I didn't just rush and buy one of them to chop the ends off!
Am I ok to drop you an e-mail about them?
I've just had a look on https://www.franzose.de as it has the exploded diagrams and you've taught me that the front box doesn't connect through the heat exchangers as I thought, but to them. Good thing I didn't just rush and buy one of them to chop the ends off!
Am I ok to drop you an e-mail about them?
- Attachments
-
- HeatExcPipe.jpg (88.66 KiB) Viewed 7669 times
-
hutchii
- Posts: 257
- Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:56 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 1865
- Country: UK
- Region: SE
Re: Exhaust flange for manifold.
Hi.
Yes of course ok to email
Ian
Yes of course ok to email
Ian
-
hutchii
- Posts: 257
- Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:56 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 1865
- Country: UK
- Region: SE
Re: Exhaust flange for manifold.
I've just re - read the original post and it prompted me to look at the ground clearance on my car.
It's not got the standard cross box exhaust, but a homemade system, so I couldn't measure the height between the box and ground. However, I did measure the chassis to ground under the fromt axle, and from the shock absorber mount to ground. This area was the lowest by roughly 20mm.
So, does the standard crossbox protrude more than 20mm below the chassis, making it the lowest point?
It's not got the standard cross box exhaust, but a homemade system, so I couldn't measure the height between the box and ground. However, I did measure the chassis to ground under the fromt axle, and from the shock absorber mount to ground. This area was the lowest by roughly 20mm.
So, does the standard crossbox protrude more than 20mm below the chassis, making it the lowest point?
-
Blue Icarian Wings
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2025 9:05 pm
- CSC Membership Number: 2305
- Country: GB
- Region: North West
Re: Exhaust flange for manifold.
Just measured mine, it's a homemade chassis that uses Mini rubber cone forwards of the front wheels with the push rod going under the suspension arms.
The sump is effectively flush with the underside of the frame (50mm box section).
My exhaust system was a pipe down each side with a silencer on the end.
I have 140mm at the front, and 105mm under the brackets for the anti roll bar. I didn't measure the clearance under the cones as I think they are close enough to the front wheel I can remain in denial about their clearance.
I've no idea of the height of the cross box but I'd assume adding one would cause the front to be raised as it sat on it!
Note for anyone reading this in years to come:
The pipes in the heat exchanger have the same flange on each end, so you can make up two ends from one pipe.
However due to the shape of the pipe one end has a decent amount of straight behind it and the other end has just a short run.
The sump is effectively flush with the underside of the frame (50mm box section).
My exhaust system was a pipe down each side with a silencer on the end.
I have 140mm at the front, and 105mm under the brackets for the anti roll bar. I didn't measure the clearance under the cones as I think they are close enough to the front wheel I can remain in denial about their clearance.
I've no idea of the height of the cross box but I'd assume adding one would cause the front to be raised as it sat on it!
Note for anyone reading this in years to come:
The pipes in the heat exchanger have the same flange on each end, so you can make up two ends from one pipe.
However due to the shape of the pipe one end has a decent amount of straight behind it and the other end has just a short run.