Burton kitcar testing

The place to discuss IVA/MSVA experiences and issues related to building our cars

Moderator: moderator

Post Reply
kgnoble
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:56 am
CSC Membership Number: 2079J
Country: UK
Region: Surrey
Contact:

Burton kitcar testing

Post by kgnoble » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:38 pm

Hello

Apologies for the length of the following but I am hoping that someone will be able to advise as to my likely success in future registration.

I am in the process of building a Burton kit on top of a 1980 Dyane. I have no V5 and there is neither a VIN number stamped on the old chassis nor an ID plate from the old bulkhead. I do have a photo of the ID plate on the bulkhead but the numbers do not conform to any standard VIN sequence and seem to be missing some characters. The car was off the road before SORN regulations and the DVLA have confirmed that no new SORN is necessary; I do have the number plates that came with the car. The DVLA will not issue a replacement V5 without their inspection; I have told them it is in the process of a rebuild and therefore not capable of inspection.

I have replaced the (apparently not original) chassis with a new ECAS chassis and have used the original engine/suspension/gearbox units, replacing worn out parts as appropriate. Bassed on what I understand to be a totting up of points for original or exact replacement main elements, I have been advised that I should be able to go a Radically Altered route for registration, but on reviewing the latest DVSA websites it seems that even RA cars need to be to modern standards, and will need a similar inspection to a Basic IVA M1 inspection. So that appears to be the way to go - except... the Burton does not come with head restraints and these now appear on the IVA requirements for registration.

So my main questions are;
1) is my understanding that the requirements are now changed such that the Radically Altered route is no longer an option.
2) will I have to expect a "Q" plate because there will probably not be a suitable relationship between the V5 and the cars limited ID
3) do I need to modify the seats to accept head restraints

In the absence of any answers here is there such a thing as a DVSA expert consultant to whom I might be pointed for (paid for) consultancy

Thank you for reading this far

regards

Keith Noble

administrator
Site Admin
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:14 am
Country: UK
Region: UK Wide

Re: Burton kitcar testing

Post by administrator » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:30 am

Keith,
There used to be a guy who advertised in the kit car mags who would help you with SVA/IVA requirements - he may still be doing this.

My reading of the Radically Altered regs still suggests that, if done sensibly, you should be able to register your Burton this way. Mike - on this forum, has recently got a Lomax 224 registered without recourse to IVA, so it is still very do-able.

Your lack of V5 is a bit troublesome. It would have been a good idea to get that sorted out before you dismantled the donor vehicle, but as you've used the original chassis (you have - haven't you ;-) ), and have the original reg, then DVLA should be able to issue you with a replacement.

A 1980 Dyane should have had a chassis number stamped on the top rail of the chassis under the RHS driveshaft - My '81 car does.

Sorry, can offer no further help.

Rgrds
Callum

kgnoble
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:56 am
CSC Membership Number: 2079J
Country: UK
Region: Surrey
Contact:

Re: Burton kitcar testing

Post by kgnoble » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:59 pm

Hi Callum

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have seen that advert before - and have been desperately searching for the ad in my back copies - without success. Will continue, but it seems to me that he may have become buried under all the new regs. Part of the problem with the Rad Altered bit is that the DVSA now use outside contractors who may prove to be a bit more worrisome as to the detail.

As I think you know, I bought (for expediency and to save time) a LHD Burton tub; and now is the time for me to work around the problems of the holes being on the wrong side. Did you, by any chance, make up a template for your RHD holes in the tub? I think I am going to use paper cutouts of the existing LHD holes and flip the paper over, but if there is a more sophisticated solution, it would be nice to have. No big deal it is this sort of fun, for which I bought the thing in the first place :-)

Thanks as ever for your help

K

Geoff Ryall-Harvey
Posts: 568
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:47 pm
Country: UK
Region: Cheshire

Re: Burton kitcar testing

Post by Geoff Ryall-Harvey » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:31 pm

Do you plan to sell the car?

kgnoble
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:56 am
CSC Membership Number: 2079J
Country: UK
Region: Surrey
Contact:

Re: Burton kitcar testing

Post by kgnoble » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:27 pm

No! I am rather looking forward to driving it and enjoying the results of all the effort put into it :-)

I think I might understand why you are asking, but.....?

K

Weg3
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:44 pm
CSC Membership Number: 2111
Country: UK
Region: Cambs PE7

Re: Burton kitcar testing

Post by Weg3 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:56 pm

I have used Paul Jepson, a retired employee of dvla, for 2 registrations in the past with no problems.
Give him a try. Jepson.paul@btopenworld.com (01189 842303)
Regards
Tony
Triking built 2014 (Edith)
Pembleton SS 750 (Daisy, now moved on to new custodian)

kgnoble
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:56 am
CSC Membership Number: 2079J
Country: UK
Region: Surrey
Contact:

Re: Burton kitcar testing

Post by kgnoble » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:36 pm

Thats really helpful - thank you.

I will contact him and report back.

Thanks again

Best wishes


Keith

Post Reply